• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

302 ???

jborushko

NAXJA Forum User
i've searched the internet and this sight but havent gotten anywhere

has anybody done a 302 swap into a xj?

i have a 1986 xj with the crappy 2.8 in it. and i have a 1986 ford mustang with a 302 in it and manual transmission (t-5).

what i want to do is combine them!

are there engine mounts? i've looked at advanced adapters and novak, and google is letting me down

esides, we're only talking about a 302 here. That's a, what, 60 lb-ft torque increase?
not quite.... the 302 is out of my mustang... looking about 345 hp and 320lb currently... im hoping to be able to fit a coupla turbos inside this engine bay also. but thats down the line

just saying ;)

i was planing on building up the uniframe a bit, i', pretty adapt at doing it, i've aready built a ZJ up 9" long arms and 1 tons yada yada.

but i just wanna make a stupid fast xj to piss people off

and yes i know that "i might as well make my own mounts if your gonna do all the welding to the uniframe"... i guess what im looking for is some other people who have done it so i can swap ideas and get some help along the way, so i dont have to do all the heavy thinking myself

prefab mounts are nice since i dont have to go through the PITA of figuring it out for myself

I contacted advanced adaptors a while back and they sent me a catalog and materials on doing the sbf swap as well as the sbc swap. They have all the parts numbers and prices listed.

if i had a t56 id already have it in my donor mustang...

unless you have one to give me? ;)

advanved adapters huh? i search their web sight didnt find anything, guess ill have to look again

if i had a t56 id already have it in my donor mustang...

unless you have one to give me? ;)

advanved adapters huh? i search their web sight didnt find anything, guess ill have to look again

i've searched the internet and this sight but havent gotten anywhere

has anybody done a 302 swap into a xj?

i have a 1986 xj with the crappy 2.8 in it. and i have a 1986 ford mustang with a 302 in it and manual transmission (t-5).

what i want to do is combine them!

are there engine mounts? i've looked at advanced adapters and novak, and google is letting me down

No doubt its been done before. Probably the person who did it isn't proud of it and hasn't posted up -joking.

The mounts are not hard to do if nobody sells them. I made mine for my 5.3L. A 1986 302 isn't going to make a XJ into a stupid fast car. Maybe if it had a lot of work done to it or you ran the 215/75/R15 tires. Big tires will suck the HP out of anything. Even the LS swaps won't make Jeeps with big tires stupid fast. Fast? Yes. Fun? Hell yes!

Mounts are the least of your concerns though. Its a big project, it can get frustrating and take lots of time and money to complete. Just becasue you have and old 302 laying around doesn't make it the ideal donor. You would be much better off to save and locate a LS (5.3/6.0/LS1/LS2/etc.)platform to swap in.

The current rig of the month winner, Loose-Nuts-Enterprises, has a 302. 'Might be a little more then you're shooting for.

His entry submission, post #5, here: August ROTM has a spec page on his wagon.

You could PM him and see what he did, but it's probably all custom/one-off.

i got a response from Novak, and they said that they have a bolt in engine mounts for 302 that arnt listed on the website. they say they cost the price as the chevy mounts and are pretty much the same design minus being for small block ford of course ~$200

so thats a win!

course there is the radiator to look into. novak has one for ~$500 but im not going to pay that, when its only 2 row. im sure there is a junk yard radiator in that will work.

course there is the radiator to look into. novak has one for ~$500 but im not going to pay that, when its only 2 row. im sure there is a junk yard radiator in that will work.

Good luck with this. The XJ radiator unique in its height and width. You can probably make something up using the XJ radiator and ends of radiator hoses. Then use copper tubing from the hardware store to connect them to get yourself going. I did this for a while with my 5.3L swap. When it got to the 90's this summer the stock XJ radiator wouldn't do it anymore though.

Yeah, I swore I wasn't going to spend $500 on a radiator too... I just did. Some of the best $500 I spent so far. I had a 30 degree temperature drop going to the BeCool 2 row aluminum radiator. Got mine from Jegs.

i just ran through your build pictures on photobucket.

that is awesome!

we'll see about the radiator situation, i've got a few different radiators laying around... i'll figure something out there

Maybe if it had a lot of work done to it or you ran the 215/75/R15 tires. Big tires will suck the HP out of anything. Even the LS swaps won't make Jeeps with big tires stupid fast. Fast? Yes. Fun? Hell yes!
this will be done in a stock xj... the only lift will be if needed to clear the bottom of the oil pan i know for novak's sbc xj mounts they say the jeep needs at least 2" of lift

the stupid fast part will come from when i turbo the motor.... i was going to turbo it anyway, being in my mustang, but i dont ever drive the mustang around here as it rains to f-ing much in washington. and i have enough trouble keeping traction as it is. this motor has been worked over a bunch already so im not too worried about the added weight from the xj body - infact im planing on it as it will actually allow me to get TRACTION. naturally aspirated im sitting pretty good for power now.

i got my zj for wheeling

im thinking that if i do need to do a small lift i might be able to get away with some junkyard springs in the front out of a 70-80ish f150... or i have some rear 5.5" lift springs out of a zj, those might work... course the back is easy enough, small blocks or bastard springs or AAL

Back