• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ORO U-turn vs Iron Rock OTK steering?

FiveNdime

NAXJA Forum User
I'm torn here and obviously price isn't the issue. Which would you do? I dont want other options just these two since I have done my research on the rest. This is on a DD/Wheeler. I know my maintenance will be more extensive on the rod ends and I will fix the single sheer issue. let me know what ya think.

Pluses for the ORO kit. TRE's which are at the local parts store if they need replaced. Better drag link angle. Solid 4130 Chromoly shafts

Pluses for the Iron Rock kit. Well it is cheaper by 200 bucks. Tie rod sits higher.

I vote ORO U-Turn. seems like a more solid set-up with the pluses that you stated. I have had my eye on the U-turn set-up for a while just waiting to get the money together and a few other things taken care of before I can purchase one.

I've read of people saying they lost turning radius with the ORO kit which I cant see is possible unless it wasn't adjusted right because if its at full lock and the little bolt on the knuckle is touching the axle housing part then I think your good to go. The only other negative I can see with it is that it pushes out the tie rod because of that bracket making it more of a target to hit rocks.

I read the review from Jason at Jeepin.com when he put the ORO on his red 95 XJ and the kit just looks real solid and he didnt complain of any loss in turning radius. I agree in not seeing how you would with that kit. Jason from Jeepin said he even felt like with that steering kit that the Jeep was more stable on the highway through crosswinds. If my rig wasn't my DD then I would probably go with the Iron Rock kit simply because it is cheaper and perfectly strong enough to tackle trails. But I think the ORO is more streetable kit that is also strong enough to tackle trails. I put parts on my Jeep that work well on the street and can handle trail abuse because I like the satisfaction of wheeling hard all day, cruising on the highway at 75 mph at the end of the day, and then driving the jeep to work monday morning. To me that is a well built multipurpose rig.

My Iron rock is perfectly streetable. Tighter than stock, Qa1 heims are easily obtainable. The kit is beef, No clearnace issues, etc. Good Kit overall

I ended up going with the Iron Rock OTK kit because I got a great deal on a used kit from a guy on here that was close to me. I will bolt it up and give a review when I put some miles on the street and trail.

Thanks Again XJ=Fun, always nice to meet cool people on here! I went into town today and completely forgot about needing a 5/8" drill bit to drill the knuckles out :doh: I will be working major overtime the next couple days so looks like I wont be getting it installed for at least a few days which sucks. At least I will be carpooling so I only have to drive my XJ a couple miles to hitch a ride.

I was going to buy a new set of rod ends yesterday but found out that at about 30 bucks each I am just going to stick with the ones I have now. I am going to go to 1/2" bolts though so I went to the local hardware store and grabbed a set of steel sleeves since my rod ends are 5/8" holes. This way I can fit 1/2" bolts without drilling out my knuckles. It will still be plenty strong, but I need to find some crush sleeves for the taper in the knuckles. Then I can install the steering.

Well here are a couple pics. I was waffling on using 1/2" or 5/8" hardware but decided to go 5/8" to get a stronger end result. Now all I have to do is weld up a top brace to fix the single sheer on the tie rod at both ends. May even do the pitman arm as well.

side by sides of the stock vs solid cold rolled goodness
IROsteering.jpg

no steering then magically I have it, what a few hours will do.
XJnosteering.jpg

XJwithIROsteering.jpg

Well here are a couple pics. I was waffling on using 1/2" or 5/8" hardware but decided to go 5/8" to get a stronger end result. Now all I have to do is weld up a top brace to fix the single sheer on the tie rod at both ends. May even do the pitman arm as well.

side by sides of the stock vs solid cold rolled goodness
IROsteering.jpg

no steering then magically I have it, what a few hours will do.
XJnosteering.jpg

XJwithIROsteering.jpg

:'-) crying with joy....actually im really sad to see that under someone elses rig...LoL

:'-) crying with joy....actually im really sad to see that under someone elses rig...LoL

Rest assured, it went to a good home :cheers: I would feel the pain too, lol You can also see how bent my drag link was after I had attempted to straighten it.

I vote ORO kit. As noted you will loose some turning radius, as you will with any high steer kit because it has to move the TRE out enough to clear the front spring. But I like this set up best of all of the bolt on kits.

Indeed they are :guitar:

I'm jealous! I have their cut-out flares and I went back and forth for a couple years trying to decide if I wanted to get them and hardly 6 months after I get them Bushwhacker comes out with these that I might have gone with first if anything. Oh well I love mine and those are definitely great looking! Did you gain as much clearance as you wanted with them? I can't tell if they open up the wheel well as much as the cut-outs.

That IRO steering looks like an awesome set up. My stock steering is rubbing my pass. JKS disconnect while turning. The IRO kit looks like a solution.

I have them posted on here, here is the link http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1034279&page=10 My post is down the page, I also show that I welded up the pinch seam and didn't do the cut and fold. I dont however have a shot of how much material I took off. This is a shot of the front cutout from a stock 96 fender. The back took out a hair less. To answer the question above about clearance, I have ok clearance but wish I had more due to my 35" tire size. When I get about half stuff on the back they rub, and I can stuff the front all the way to the top and snag the lip of the fender. I just have to put longer bump stops on I suppose.

xjcannon, I would highly recommend the IRO setup. Customer service and help over the phone was great, and right now they have free shipping on it. I have not wheeled it yet but driving it on the street is performs very well, no noise or vibes or death wobble at all. For the extra 100 bucks from a kit like Ballistic Fab sells it blows them out of the water hands down. Plus the customer service I received from Ballistic Fab was terrible, either that or the guy on the phone was just smoking to much (fill in the blank).

Tape measure is there for kind of a reference to see how much material is taken off. Its about 3" where it sits.
Trimmedpieceoffender.jpg

Last edited:
I was Just wondering if your IRO setup would work with my cherokee, im at about 8.5/9 inches of lift....I cannot for the life of me decide what OTK setup to run

Back