• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Some People's Kids...

So, I was installing my 2 gauge wiring in my '98 and discovered a massive FUBAR. The connection from the starter relay and the starter had been "replaced". I use quotes because what the PO did was to BYPASS the relay... Whoever the mental giant as what did this tied into the wire from the ignition switch to the starter relay coil. Sort of explains why it would start in any gear...

Besides the obvious, the real issue here is wire gauge. The lead from the ignition switch is in the 16 to 18 gauge range and the wire from the relay to the starter is 14 gauge.

After getting over the shakes (can you see a loom fire in your future?) I replaced the garbage with proper sized wiring. This is when I discovered the NSS out of adjustment. Fixed it and all is well.

So, if you score a cheap Jeep, expect anything to be buggered.

On the upside, now I know how the PDC is put together. Means that adding relays and fuses for future toys (lights or whatever) will be a walk in the park as there are plenty of empty positiond available. Just cannablize a JY PDC!

Glad you worked it all out. Feels pretty good, doesn't it.

Good luck.

I get the shakes and reach for the extinguisher just looking at the factory supplied, wire gauges ... Never mind what some goose hacked in there later .... :D

PDC is actually quite good to work on ... as are most of the switches ... when you work out the fastening methods.

Be gentle with the PDC locking tabs for the fuse/relay holders ..... If they have had too much heat they snap off real quick.

Wouldn't mind a U.S. supplier for the terminals used in the loom / PDC etc., though .... anything similiar down here doesnt quite match.

On the upside, now I know how the PDC is put together. Means that adding relays and fuses for future toys (lights or whatever) will be a walk in the park as there are plenty of empty positiond available. Just cannablize a JY PDC!

I did that on my '96 Cherokee, and will do it on the '98. The headlight brightener and fog light relays/fuses all went in the PDC. Really easy, and it looks like a factory install...

Back