• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to put an AMG Fuse

So, I was installing my 2 Gauge wiring in the '98 and was needing a place to install the AMG fuse I would be using instead of the fusable link. Don't know if anyone else has done this but...

PDCCover.jpg

PDCCoveroff.jpg

PDCFuseInstall.jpg

This way, when I uypgrade the Alternator, all is needed id to change the fuse. The XJ already had a 6 gauge wire from the Alternator, so should be good there.

What do you think?

Pretty good.

You might want to put some kind of a corrosion inhibitor on the lead ends, and see if you can arrange some kind of an insulated cover for it.

The stock cover fits. First photo. Good point about anti-corrosion. Anyone know what the factory used? I did not find any sort of protection on the connections.

Neat job.

In case you are in the process of trying to flange this project: I and a few others use Ox-Gard (or equivalent), a conductor of electricity, to promote good electrical contact and protect against oxidation. It would appear that the vast majority of the rest of the world uses dielectric grease, an insulator. Either works, so take your pick.

In highly corrosive environments or where water immersion is a possibility, I would be inclined to use Ox-Gard on the connections and then dielectric grease as an outer protection.

Of course, you can only use Ox-Gard in multi-wire connectors, if at all, with great caution to avoid shorting everything out.

Pelican,
Thanks for the props! I had purchased an AMG fuse holder from NAPA and was looking for a spot to install it. It was by accident that I noticed the spacing at the PDC. Wonder what Jeep was thinking. They actually made a mod easy...

Here in Colorado, corrosion is not that much of an issue. That being said, it never hurts to take preventative measures. I can not see using dielectric grease as it is, as you said, an insulator. Google says Ace Hardware sells Ox-Gard.

Fuse for
applications: For high current (100A - 300A) applications on 48VDC or less systems requiring interrupting ratings up to 1000A.
For use with the Bussmann HMG Fuseholder

9d125442-bff9-44cf-8eb2-fc0529aa276d.JPG

So, I was installing my 2 Gauge wiring in the '98 and was needing a place to install the AMG fuse I would be using instead of the fusable link. Don't know if anyone else has done this but...

PDCFuseInstall.jpg

This way, when I uypgrade the Alternator, all is needed id to change the fuse. The XJ already had a 6 gauge wire from the Alternator, so should be good there.

What do you think?

Great job....
Did this same installation on my '98 about 7 years ago.

I also used 2 ga for the battery cables and 4 ga for the leads from the battery to the PDC and alternator to PDC along with a 125A 32V buss fuse from West Marine.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Ok you non renix guys are lucky with this mod....looks factory.
Now what about us renix guys...what's the best way to mount one of these megafuses?
The way I have mine mounted now kinda makes me nervous.....ill get a pic tomorrow

I used 2 ga to replace all of the factoy 6ga stuff. Cost me less than $50 for all the cables cut to size with swedged ends on them...

Replaced:
Battery to Block
Battery to Inner fender (3/8 connection point added)
Battery to PDC
Battery to Starter
Block to Firewall
Removed the Fusible Link from the Alternator

The Factory used 6ga on the alternator. I also moved the Alternator ground (6ga) to the block stud that takes the Battery ground.

For now, the 6ga is OK as I still have the 90A Alternator. Once I upgrade, in addition to a fuse change, I'll need to change the feed/ground lines as 6ga is only good to 105A (@90 degrees).

Back