• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift block question

BillR

Toy Jeep driver!
Is it harmful to use a shim on top of a lift block? I'm thinking about installing a set of RE 1" tapered blocks that I have, and I'm wondering whether to remove the shim or not. I've heard that it's not good to have two loose pieces under the spring pack. True?:confused:

From what I have heard its not safe but I have seen people do it. I personally wouldnt do it but that just me.

shim on the bottom, you don't what to have the at an angle from the top. This will also lead to some axle wrap. Just stick in the on the bottom. Juice

I think that ORGS has welded the shim to the block before that was what I was planning on doing but I am also running Dakota leafs and they are stouter that XJ springs.

I know this is probably going to cause an uprise, but from experience I would have to say that dakota springs are not that much more stout than the xjs. I have had 2 dakota the first one was a 99 sport 2wd and the one I have now is a 02 4x4 quadcab 4.7l slt+ with a 3" lift and 33s. I USE my pickups and I also do alot of camping. When I load up my dakotas the rear end starts to sag with only a couple hundred pounds of stuff in it. When I put the same stuff in my xj the rear barely sags. I dont know where people are coming up with the idea that dakota springs are heavier duty. If anyone has ever noticed a dakota with a cap on it they are always sitting high in the front because of the weight of the cap. The biggest complaint about the dakotas on all the forums is the lack of weight carring in the back, and the fact that they sag so easy. I read an article from dc saying the 05 dakotas are going to have beefier springs because there has been so many complaints. I hope I didnt make anyone angry but this is just from experience. I know this post is dated but I am trying to make things a little clearer.

i too have always heard that dakota springs are stiffer.. you say not though.. anyone know what the rear sprung weight of a dakota is compared to the rear sprung weight of an XJ? being a pickup i would think they have a stiffer rate than XJ packs do.. so when you run it in an XJ it is stiffer than what was there before.. just my uneducated thoughts on a subject i have no knowledge of... :D
mike

tony597fitter said:
I know this is probably going to cause an uprise, but from experience I would have to say that dakota springs are not that much more stout than the xjs... I hope I didnt make anyone angry but this is just from experience. I know this post is dated but I am trying to make things a little clearer.

Increased spring rate isn't the reason people use Dakota leaves. Like the MJ, the Dakota has the springs run under the axle, not over like the XJ. Therefore, the leaves have more initial arch. That's why swapping the Dakota leaves onto an XJ main leaf results in a significant lift. Unless you also use the Dakota main leaf and increase the total number of leaves in the pack, it doesn't change the spring rate all that much, just raises the ride height.

Back