• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another 'Which Oil Pump' thread.

DonkRado

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my disclaimer: I searched through a ton of the oil pump threads, but I haven't been able to convince myself strongly one way or the other on this.

What are the true benefits of running the high volume oil pump over the OEM replacement?

And here's my story. I just picked up a '90 XJ with a new (crate) 4.0 in it. The motor has ~36K on it. I had to drive it about 330 miles home and I found it to be about 3 quarts low when I got on the road. I noticed the oil gauge to be reading what I would consider low for most of the trip. When the engine was cold, it would start up around 40psi and run there until it got a little warmer. Once there, it would idle around 20psi, but under acceleration it would increase (all the way up to about 40-45 psi at 3K RPM's). After I made it about 200 miles, I stopped for a couple of hours and got back on the road. I noticed the oil pressure staying fairly low this time, averaging around 18-20 at idle, and maybe 30-40 under highway load. I pulled off to check oil again, and found it a couple of quarts low this time. It made the rest of the trip safely, but did continue to blow out oil.

Of course, my first step is to find the leaks and seal that block back up. I've got a little bit of oil blowing out of CCV and FAI grommets on the valve cover, not much there. No valve cover leak that I can see. Looks like I've got a leaking spot or two on the oil pan itself (actually there's one missing bolt, and it's been filled with RTV). The real suspect in all of this is the crank seal, though. I can't be 100% due to the general covering of wet oil on the bottom of the block, but I'm pretty sure that the seal behind the HD is pushing it out. It also makes sense as it could certainly be a high quantity leak site.
So, my plan is to immediately replace the upper grommets, oil pan seal and crank seal. While I'm in there, I have thought to replace that oil pump for peace of mind if nothing else. My concern is multifold.
-Do I even really need the oil pump or does my current 'new engine' oil pump sound healthy, but fighting a large leak?
-The new engine does not look to be a HO, so I'm thinking that the oil pump should be the cast iron variety, before the aluminum pumps made their way into production. Would a replacement NAPA/AZ pump from Meling be of equivalent build quality?
-I've read about those High Vol. users who ran into fitment issues and had to bang out the pan a bit and bend the pickup to make it all work. I'd be a bit worried about any oil starvation issues resulting from such a small oil pickup area after the larger screen and all are in place. Is this valid at all?
-I've also read about issues with the HV pump hitting the crank or causing other motion path issues. Is this stuff really that commonplace? It seemed like the users with the pre-HO engine ran into more problems than the latter engines.

After all of that... I'm wondering if the OEM replacement pump wouldn't be a sufficient and a less problem prone solution. And of course... that's if I even need to replace it.

Sorry for the novel, and thanks for any advice.
-Donk

I put a high volume pump in from Autozone, I suspect it's a Melling, some 3 years ago. Personally, mine fit just fine without any interference issues.

IIRC, your pressures sound fine. 13psi at idle is the spec'ed minimum.

Doing a little more research on the matter... I see that Fram filters are discouraged due to low pressure readings, and sure enough that's what's on there right now. I'll pick up a Wix rebrand from NAPA when I pick up the crank seal set tomorrow.
Having seen all of this, I think I'm going to pass on the oil pump for right now. I hate to cut corners, but it sounds good and I need to afford new tires in the very near future. Any other tips?

I wouldn't pass up on the oil pump if you're gonna remove the oil pan anyway. Just get a stock replacement. If you don't and the oil pressure remains low, you'll be kicking yourself for not replacing the oil pump and be wondering if that's the reason for the lowish oil pressure.

Yeah..
So, I'm going to go ahead and do the oil pump. Also... I think I may as well do the rear main seal while I'm in there. The jury is still just a bit out on that one, but nearly every other seal is being covered, so why not it?
Oh well, it's still waaaay cheaper than working on my Corrado.

EDIT:
Ok, so I just realized that the part that I ordered under the impression that it was the front crank seal is actually the rear main. So, looks like I've got the parts for that job anyway. Now, can I get some help finding the common name for the front seal? I'm not finding anything under the crank seal set. Is it possibly the timing cover seal? Thanks.

Last edited:
Ok, here are some pictures of the underside of the engine. Definitely shows the bad oil pan gasket, and possibly that front main crank seal.
Jeep+006.jpg

Jeep+007.jpg

Jeep+008.jpg

Jeep+009.jpg

Back