• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL code 37

exjay82

NAXJA Forum User
My Jeep (1997 4.0 automatic) has been sputtering lately, sometimes at idle and sometimes when i give it gas. Lately its gotten worse and now my check engine light has come on and is showing 37. I've looked around and this seems to indicate a problem with the torque converter. Can anyone give me some idea of what the actual problems may be and how to fix it? Thanks

How are you obtaining the 37 code?

Quote from 5-90's OBD-II tech page:

"The "key cycling" trick (cf. OBD-I) doesn't usually work for OBD-II vehicles, so you'll need a code scanner of some variety."

Some report that they CAN use the key trick on their 97s, others report that they CAN NOT. Best bet is to have the actual code(s) read and post up the complete code.

Just for grins, unplug the TCU and drive it shifting manually to see if the "sputtering" stops.

Get the codes scanned at AutoZone or some such- the 2 codes you listed are trans and O2 sensor related, but could have any number of causes. The OBD codes are more detailed, and should help you narrow things down a bit.

Back