• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hatch problems (stuck open)

xjcase

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched the forums pretty thoroughly, I think, and nobody seems to have had my problem yet.

A lot of people have issues with hatches getting stuck closed, but mine will not even close. I opened it in the middle of a trail today and it would not shut. When I try and shut it it sounds like metal on metal clash, it's aligned properly although one side does not close as tightly as the other - that's never been a problem.

I took the rear molding off and removed the mechanism - it seems that the metal piece that is supposed to move up and then click back into place when it hits the mating piece on the body is stuck. It moves less than 1-2 cm's when I move it with pliers - any Idea why this would happen or what I could do to fix it?

Thanks,

Case

try cleaning the latch first and greasing it

if that doesn't fix it, shoot me a pm.....i have an extra latch from my 2001 that i could let you have for a reasonable price

Difference between "stuck open" and won't latch. I had visions of you driving around with the hatch sticking out on-line with the roof!

As suggested, hose it down with some light oil, then give it a few taps with a little hammer or large screwdriver's handle.

Good luck.

Back