• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator upgrade question

Newbeme

NAXJA Forum User
My 13 year old son has a '93 Cherokee Country with 4.0L/Auto that has a bad stock alternator. I can get the 136amp Grand Cherokee alt for the same price as the stock replacement, so that is the route I want to go. Now my question, can I run the higher amp alt without upgrading the wiring for now? It won't be run much and I'll probably be upgrading the wiring this spring. I just don't want to fry something. Sorry for the ignorance and thanks in advance.

You can disreguard this. I searched on it the other day and couldn't find what I was looking for. I now see someone else posted the same question and xjbubba replied with the answer I was looking for. Sorry.

I didn't say he drives it yet, but he owns it. He paid for it himself with paper route money and it needs a few things done to it (alt, starter needed rebuilt, cleaned) that he's going to pay for. Both of my children are very independant. He gets his permit in 11 months so he can drive with an adult then and he wants to have it ready by then. Besides the project keeps him busy and out of trouble.

Here's a pic of him with it.
DSCN0047.jpg

Yes, you can.

The alternator does not always put out full current - just what the regulator decides the system needs. Your alternator typically holds around 20-40A output under "normal" running conditions (no vent fan, no A/C, just engine and radio going.)

You can run that indefinitely, as long as you don't require full output from your alternator. Once that happens, you're going to pop something - either the two 60A MAXI fuses in the PDC, or the fusible link in the alternator wire to the PDC Buss bar (depends on how you're set up - it varied from year to year.)

For upgrade info (if and when,) click the link in my sig.

5-90

I just wanted to let you know I think its great you have such an independant son. Kudo's to you for giving him, and his sibling, the opportunity to be this responsible.
What better way to let them spend their hard earned money and
begin a good natured long lasting hobby.
Hope he enjoys the fruits of his labour, I'm sure you both will.

Back