• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulling my hair out because of this stupid transmission problem

CromeY90

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i was haveing issues with my 90 xj aw4 np242 shifting out of first it would drive right off the bat but wouldnt shift it would hit 40 k at about 4000 rpm and then nothing you could rev to 6 grand but nothing unles you stomped on it the transmission would grab jsut a bit but now id be in the red line and only doing like 45 km/h so figured it was the transmission was shot so i swapped it out but low and behold same issue so i figured what was the chances of two different transmissions doing the same thing so i changed the TCU and it worked the first day perfectly( got to add it was a warm morning will explain more later) but then the problem reared its ugly head again so i have added lucas transmission oil that stops slips and also tranny treatment and still went to go this morning which was a cold morning and the mother fu%^er would not shift now and befor it would only act up for about 2 mins top but today was not going even after 10 minitues so i thought hmmmmm maybe ECU changed it and just test drove it but still the problem happened but after about 4 minutes it decided to work and shifted flawlessly and its now warm out so it seems to me the problem only happens when its been sitting and its cool out then when i drive it for a lil it works fine but id like to be able to jump in and not eff arround with it and want it to work right away so if any of you jeep gurus could shed some light on my situation ANYTHING else i could try befor it goes to the shop would be so appreciated its not even funny really need this thing working properly thanks in advanced

Hey, I'd make sure of a few things first:
-proper tps adjustment
-proper tv cable adjustment
-how does it drive with the tcu fuse pulled ( or the tcu unplugged)? can you manually shift it through the gears up and down?
few things to check first

i have adjusted the tv cable numours times but i think it might be sticking if anyone can take a picture of what theres looks like so i have something to compare to would be awsome and the tps can throw out the shifting? and i have never pulled the fuse do i just pull it then what try and drive and manually shift it? and when driveing it going 40 k and 4000 rpm if i put it form D to 1-2 its does grab and jerk as if going into first but then from there acts the same(as is acthing up) even when i move it to 3 or D

Back