• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Rear Winch Bumper build. 56K beware.

stumpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hope not to bore you, but decided to photo/document my rear winch bumper build. Not much different than any other bumper build, but you dont see too many with rear winches. This thread will show stage 1 of the build, stage two will consist of my tire carrier, jerry can holder, and hi-lift mount at a later date.

Why a rear winch?

1. Because its my jeep, and I want it.
2. I can build it
3. I have another winch to put on the front (8274 Warn), so this one is 'extra'
4. I am often exploring without other vehicles, I dig expedition style travel not just 'wheeling'.
5. Sometimes you should be winched OUT of a situation instead of THROUGH the situation.
6. See number 1.

Started off with some 2x6" 3/16 wall tubing. Notched it so that the whole thing doesnt have to stick out too far, and it looks better. Welded on the bottom winch plate, made from 1/4 steel.

Sorry, no pictures of regular old tubing. :D

DSCN1835.jpg

Cutting out the slots for the fairlead...

DSCN1840.jpg

DSCN1839.jpg

DSCN1838.jpg

DSCN1837.jpg

DSCN1836.jpg

A little quick test fit.

DSCN1842.jpg

The receiver is just kind of holding it in place.

DSCN1841.jpg

Did the standard 'taper' on the end pieces.

DSCN1852.jpg

DSCN1851.jpg

Last edited:
DSCN1850.jpg

DSCN1849.jpg

DSCN1848.jpg

DSCN1847.jpg

DSCN1846.jpg

DSCN1845.jpg

DSCN1844.jpg

DSCN1843.jpg

Fe pics showing the hitch going on the Jeep. I didnt have much choice in having this hanging so low, because I often carry a offroad trailer when we go camping. The good thing is that its almost 1.5" higher than the stock/factory style hitch was.

DSCN1857.jpg

DSCN1856.jpg

DSCN1854.jpg

DSCN1853.jpg

These pictures show the brackets I fabbed up for the mounting, as well as the rear quarter trimming. Mounting uses the 4 stock bolts on each side, as well as three bolts where the hitch would normally mount. A total of 14 bolts holding the bumper on. If it folds like a taco, I will just have to re-group.

It also shows an older non-working winch I used for mock-up purposes.

DSCN1866.jpg

DSCN1865.jpg

DSCN1864.jpg

DSCN1863.jpg

DSCN1862.jpg

DSCN1860.jpg

DSCN1859.jpg

DSCN1858.jpg

This is just a couple peices of 1.75" tubing I added to the sides, part protection, part future tie-ins for an exo cage. They dont offer much protection right now wince they are tied to nothing, but I will work on that.

DSCN1867.jpg

DSCN1868.jpg

Cut out some 3/8 thick plate for the shackle mounts/snatch points. I didnt have any pictures, but they go all the way through and tie into the rear mounting plates.

DSCN1869.jpg

Cut out some holes for the 7 pin trailer connector for the afore mentioned off-road trailer. So nice to have this thing permanently mounted!

DSCN1872.jpg

DSCN1873.jpg

DSCN1874.jpg

One last test fit, and getting the solenoid pack mounted, as well as the remote socket/plug. I also mounted my wireless winch controller box under the top sheeting. Got everything else buttoned up before having to paint it.

DSCN1882.jpg

DSCN1880.jpg

DSCN1879.jpg

DSCN1878.jpg

DSCN1877.jpg

DSCN1876.jpg

DSCN1875.jpg

A little primer:

DSCN1883.jpg

A little paint:

DSCN1884.jpg

DSCN1885.jpg

Getting everything remounted after the paint dried.

DSCN1886.jpg

DSCN1887.jpg

DSCN1888.jpg

Wiring the winch. The rear winch will run off of my rear mounted auxillary battery.

DSCN1889.jpg

The final pics! ( I broke an exhaust hanger last weekend on a wheeling trip, it will be raised back up to the bumper.)

DSCN1895.jpg

DSCN1894.jpg

DSCN1893.jpg

DSCN1892.jpg

DSCN1891.jpg

DSCN1890.jpg

Thats it!

Here is a picture of what is going on the front, but I have to re-do the winch mounting portion of the existing winch bumper.

DSCN1310.jpg

~ Stump

:shocked: Love it!!!

Beautiful work Stump.

At first, I was like meh. Then, I was like woah. That looks good.

very nicely done! i had my doubts at the beginning, but i was in awe by the end.

Damn dude, excellent work! I was worried stuffing a winch in there would make it stick a foot out, but that looks great!

I have seen full size guys mount winches between the frame rails under the bumper, but that still looks awesome!

Damn dude, excellent work! I was worried stuffing a winch in there would make it stick a foot out, but that looks great!

I was worried too, but a tape measure said it wouldnt be too bad. The winch is about 1/4' from the rear panel of the 'frame", and is about 1/4" from the bottom side of the seal area near the latch. Its as tight as it will go without doing some major cutting. You can see where I trimmed about 1.5" off the lip of the rear panel to allow the winch plate to be as far inbound as possible. The winch is 6.5" high, and 6.5" deep, so thats what i had to work with..

Thanks for compliments guys!

~ Stump

:doh: looks like i get to be the one who gives you crap about it....

whats up with the mounts?!?! aside from not tieing into all the nutstip bolts, whats up with having just a single vertical piece of plate of each? any sorta side pull and those are just gunna wanna fold and bend. also, yeah the d-ring tab mounts thru the bumper and all, but the that single piece of plate is just butted up again the rear mount and welded :dunno: i dont really see the need for a rear winch, but its a cool looking bumper and approach, i jsut feel that the mounts are heavily lacking.

Back