• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle info

whompinxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 sport with a dana 30 and 8.25. I need to regear and rebuild, so can someone tell me details on these axles, like reverse rotation, hp, etc... I dont want to order parts for them and have the guy at the rearend shop tell me that they're wrong.
thanks

whompinxj said:
I have a 95 sport with a dana 30 and 8.25. I need to regear and rebuild, so can someone tell me details on these axles, like reverse rotation, hp, etc... I dont want to order parts for them and have the guy at the rearend shop tell me that they're wrong.
thanks

to start off. the Dana 30 is high pinion for that modle year which mean reverse rotation gears. there is a carrier break for the D30 so if you have gears currently which are numericaly lower (like stock 3.55,3.07 etc) than 4.10 and you are trying to go above 4.10 you will need a new carrier.

as far as rear axles go. the 95 8.25 is a 27 spline unit. its not much stronger than a D35. you can upgrade to the much stronger 29 spline by replaceing everything inside the housing. are you sure its the 8.25? many people get it and the 35 mixed up. a quick clue is if you have ABS, then automaticaly you have a D 35 rear axle. here is a diagram of popualar axles. not the difference of the bottom of the 35 and 8.25 the 8.25 has the deffinite flat lip on the bottom that protrudes out beond the cover whereas the 35 is oval on the botom.
jeepdiferentialssl3.jpg

if in fact you do have the 8.25 great. there is lots of upgrade potential yet it is somewhat limiting. like i said earlier, pay attention to the spline count of 27 splines for modle year 95. there are lots of options available like lockers for the 27 but not the 29 spline. which is an irony of sorts as the 29 spline is almost comperable in strenght to a dana 44. anther limiting factor is gears in the 8.25. the deapest gears one can go is 4.56. i believe the 30 goes up to 4.88. so if you wanted to go 35's you might think it was a bit sluggish with only 4.56 and would want to upgrade to a 44 or full width rear.

if you need more info, use the search button on the top of the window. topics like gears, 8.25, dana 35, dana 30, lockers will all bring up a weath of information and will literaly give one info overload.

hth
stewie

Back