• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny for stroker

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a 4.6 stroker for my Jeep and it came with a aw4 auto tranny. My jeep currently has a reconditioned BA10/5, and Idont know how well it will hold up. Soo my question is, what tranny should i use, and if i did go with the aw4 what would i need to swap it in?

aw4
the ba10 was not adequate for a stock 4.0, a stroker will grenade it.
Either that or go and find an AX-15 out of a newer jeep.
Look at manually controlling the AW4, if you want it truly automatic you'll need a TCU from a renix rig, and a different TPS for an auto.
You'll also need the shifter, shift cable and the tv cable assembly that runs to the throttle body.
and you'll need the proper trans mount.

What exactly is the trans comfort switch. Im pretty sure that i have everything to do the swap except for the shifter. Is there a technical write-up that i can look at?

I really need some help with this, I'm droppin off the motor tomorrow to get it put in. I would like to know every little part that i would need to swap to an AW4. I dont have the TCU, Or the auto gear selector, but i do have the auto TPS. Can someone give me some further help. Any info is appreciated.

without a TCU for your year ECU you won't have a tranny that shifts.
You can either procure the proper TCU, or go manual.
awshifting.com
You must have the shifter, it's a mechanical arm that puts the trans in park/forward/reverse gears.
you're other option is to use the ba-10 that you've got, and start gathering parts for an ax-15 swap.
who knows, the ba-10 may last 6 months it may last forever.

Trans comfort switch is kind of like and overdrive over ride switch. Every XJ I've driven with that switch always felt like they grew a pair when you press the switch.

AD-8 said:
Is the TCU from a 97 the same as a 90? And do i need all the linkage that goes from the shifter to the tranny?
I doubt it is. Between 90 & 97 alot of stuff changed on XJ's electronic wise.

Back