• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toothless 30!!!!

robsjeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
So I pulled apart my D30 today to replace an axle tube seal that was bad and when I pulled the diff cover to drain the fluid I found this!!!! One tooth is actually broken and the one above it is cracked along with 5 other teeth in another spot!!!!
DSC08012.jpg

DSC08006.jpg

DSC08013.jpg

DSC08016.jpg

Not sure what caused this but it does seem weird. I''m taking it back to shop that installed them on monday to have them look at it and see if they think it's defective or what. I'm not too hard on it so I don't think that's the issue but we'll see I guess. In any case it's still totally blows, I guess I'm not going wheeling this weekend.

Last edited:
watch ya running for tires/gears, im guessing 35's and 4.88's

and youre locked. even if youre easy on it the dana 30 lacks support for the ring a pinion and they deflect. most likely the cause of your problem. id still wheel it though til she craps out completely!

and youre locked. even if youre easy on it the dana 30 lacks support for the ring a pinion and they deflect. most likely the cause of your problem. id still wheel it though til she craps out completely!
uh no, been stuck on the trail till midnoght tryin to drag a 2wd xj out after blowing up the frt end

Not planning on wheeling it. I haven't been that hard on it at all in fact I really try to be easy on it just for that reason. They are less than a year old with maybe 6 runs on them. The funny part is I don't even know when this happened or how long it's been like that. I guess let this be a lesson to everyone, POS 30!!! :smsoap:

Not planning on wheeling it. I haven't been that hard on it at all in fact I really try to be easy on it just for that reason. They are less than a year old with maybe 6 runs on them. The funny part is I don't even know when this happened or how long it's been like that. I guess let this be a lesson to everyone, POS 30!!! :smsoap:
30's are awsome up to 33's or 35's with a fullcase locker

a D30 is often only as good as the driver......I have ran 235's up to 36's on a built D30 w/o any problems..common sense and easy on the skinny pedal. Of course there are better options out there but I am just saying......

So what is that supposed to mean? You saying I don't know how to drive and lack common sense? What are you a ****? I'm not one to beat on my own rig especially since I know that it has limitations and if I break it I have to fix it and most times that's miles from the nearest parts store or road for that matter. So no it's not my driving I'm going more with the D30 on 35's and an aussie in the stock carrier as not being as good of an idea as some may say. I'm think of either selling the aussie and going with an ARB or just leaving it open for awhile.

Well, according to Randy Lyman's book Differentials, the large 297/760 u-joint 30's are good for 35's. I ran my Alloy USA shafted 27 spline, Lock Right'ed 30 on 35" TrXus and beat it fairly hard without my 4.56 Yukon's grenading. You say you're taking it back to where the gears where done, how long ago was this? Perhaps the pattern wasn't what it should/could be? What about throwing some gear pattern paint on there and spinning the diff and see what comes up???

Well, according to Randy Lyman's book Differentials, the large 297/760 u-joint 30's are good for 35's. I ran my Alloy USA shafted 27 spline, Lock Right'ed 30 on 35" TrXus and beat it fairly hard without my 4.56 Yukon's grenading. You say you're taking it back to where the gears where done, how long ago was this? Perhaps the pattern wasn't what it should/could be? What about throwing some gear pattern paint on there and spinning the diff and see what comes up???
it has nothing to do with the gears, the stock carrier flexes to much with big tires

also if your running the stock cover with a locker in it, the case will flex under load and cause the teeth to deflect and can break teeth.... i would look into a much stronger cover for the 30 especially with a locker in it.

The 30 is a HP axle setup with Yukon 4.56 gears, 4340 inners & outers, Yukon Super Joints, Ruffstuff HD diff cover, JCR OTK/OTA steering and AlloyUSA tube seals so everything that could be done for it was so I'm still going with either gear set is bad (not likely but possible) or the lunchbox style locker/stock carrier setup is just not strong enough. I'll see what the shop says on monday when I take it in hopefully they will warrantee it. I think the setup is good but I think the aussie has to go though. Everything was done in January of this year so it's only been 7 months or so and maybe a handful of runs on them if that, most of the time it's my DD so the front axle has almost no real time on it at all, I never use 4wd on the street.

Last edited:
Why is it 'not likely' to be a problem with the gears ? Your combo isn't ground breaking, many survive without this problem. So now that you've warned everybody, do I have to take back all my years/trips/adventures since I've had 35's? :confused1

Why is it 'not likely' to be a problem with the gears ? Your combo isn't ground breaking, many survive without this problem. So now that you've warned everybody, do I have to take back all my years/trips/adventures since I've had 35's? :confused1
Because it's more likely that the problem is that with alloy shafts and the big tires that the weak link is now the stock carrier and when is starts to flex this is what happens. I don't care what you do with your..... this isn't about you remember? :passgas:

Last edited:
Back