• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ballistic Fab 1 Ton Steering Mods

FiveNdime

NAXJA Forum User
I have been racking my brain all freeking day long about what steering setup to get for my XJ. I have narrowed it down to two possible solutions. Either the ORO U-turn kit or the 1 Ton kit from Ballistic Fab. The ORO kit is self explanatory as in its just great out of the box stuff.

On the other hand for a heck of allot less cash I can build a set almost like it without those fancy brackets but still keeping a Y-link setup. I was going to simply order the BF kit but order it with an extra 12" to each section of tube that comes in the kit which would cost be about 25 bucks they say. So I'm up to about $285 at this point for the kit without shipping which is probably going to be around 50-60 bucks. I would then bend up my steering to clear all the brackets like other kits have done including the ORO kit. Has anyone done this before? I am doing an OTK kit which is why I must bend the drag link and tie rod to fit around the track bar and sway bar brackets as well as my Riddler diff cover. So if you have any input on this let me know. Thanks!

Also does anyone know of a company on here that sells the ORO kit, and if either does a Naxja discount?

So I assume no one has done this before? I did learn today that any bungs or ends you weld on your steering is not DOT approved and you could be held liable in an accident if it fails. So I think I will go with the drill and tap method for installing rod ends or TRE's.

I've yet to hear of anyone that was happy with their ORO steering for long, Everyone I've seen/heard get it, usually ends up going Currie eventually.

I plan on getting the Ballistic kit myself, but I'm also going full width.

i have ballistic steering and it doesnt hit my stock cover, not sure how much more a riddler cover sticks out. and it also hits the stock trackbar mount when turning right. which has forced me to move my trackbar OTK, which will be good for me anyway

I would stay away from Ballistic's TRE steering kits. I have had 2 of their "1-ton" TRE's fail in less than 500 miles of use. 1 by hand aligning the jeep and the other on a mild dirt road.

New steering is very near in my future for me as well. I spent some time looking at all the kits as well, and decided 1 ton UTK would be fine for my needs. When the time comes I'll be having R&P 4WD in Oregon City make my links. They use .375 wall tube, drill and tap the ends, and not to mention are very reasonably priced.

Then you just need to source the TRE's at the parts store, and pick up a reamer (Snap On #R121). I'll let you be the guinea pig before I do mine though. :D

Back