• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gettin' rid of the airbag........

jabbo-1

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to change out the stock steering wheel on my 95. I was
wondering, when I remove it, what consequences I will face ?
I have built and installed a custom front winch bumper, and have NO use for an airbag. I don't want it going off in my face if I'm getting into wheelin' a little too hard. { It's happened before }
I live in Texas, and everything on the dash has to be in order to
pass the state inspection. I'm sure I will have a tattletale light
to get rid of, and am hoping that will be about it.
They will never check for an airbag if I DON'T have a light !

Defeating a safety feature is not encouraged on NAXJA.

Sent you a PM.

Thank's Joe, This XJ is for offroading, and is going to be
trailered wherever it goes. Out where I 4wheel, you have
to cross a state highway every once in a while. You are
required to have current inspection and plates when crossing
or you get fined. { If caught } I am installing another
factory wheel, but just without the airbag.... Yea, if I was
streeting this thing, I would keep the bag, but 6" of lift, 35s,
lockers, and no sway bars makes it really " unstreetable "..!

Cool. Check the link in the PM I sent you.

Good luck.

I am going to change out the stock steering wheel on my 95. I was
wondering, when I remove it, what consequences I will face ?
I have built and installed a custom front winch bumper, and have NO use for an airbag. I don't want it going off in my face if I'm getting into wheelin' a little too hard. { It's happened before }
I live in Texas, and everything on the dash has to be in order to
pass the state inspection. I'm sure I will have a tattletale light
to get rid of, and am hoping that will be about it.
They will never check for an airbag if I DON'T have a light !

Coming from someone who has hit a car nearly head on in their XJ, don't do it. I would rather eat an airbag than a windshield!

95 and 96 airbags don't use a module or electronics, there's shouldn't be a light IIRC. Just turn your key on and leave the engine off so you can see all your dash warning lights, i don't believe you'll have an airbag light.

95 and 96 airbags don't use a module or electronics, there's shouldn't be a light IIRC. Just turn your key on and leave the engine off so you can see all your dash warning lights, i don't believe you'll have an airbag light.
X2.

Airbag also takes about 5 minutes to completely swap on a 95-96. I would keep an an airbag on hand for (a) inspections (though there is no telltale light) and (b) anytime you drive it on the street. All you need is an 8mm nutdriver and a 10mm nutdriver or ratchet+socket iirc. Pop the little blank plate out of the top of the wheel, unscrew the arming bolt till it stops turning, unscrew the 4 nuts holding the airbag in, swap it, reverse steps. When arming and disarming, open the driver's window, close the door, and remain outside the vehicle to avoid being hit if it goes off.

There is an arming screw so that you can disable it when offroading, and no dash light to worry about.
If you want to swap out the wheel anyway, LeCarra makes a hub and has some nice steering wheels too.-B

There is an arming screw so that you can disable it when offroading, and no dash light to worry about.
If you want to swap out the wheel anyway, LeCarra makes a hub and has some nice steering wheels too.-B
Damn that is a real good point. :thumbup:

Bring an 8mm nutdriver with you when you wheel... just back the arming screw out and it won't be able to go off. Screw it back in when you go to cross a road or drive on-road.

That video on U-Tube is EXACTLY why I want to get rid
of the airbag... I needed a new wheel, mine has seen it's
better days, and started splitting. Tape didn't work too
well, and I like the older factory wheels. I DO believe in
being as safe as possible, but there comes a point where
safety and stupidity come together, hard wheelin', and
a forgetful mind, makes the " perfect storm "... I'm gettin'
old and forgetful, and my checklist in the glovebox has
given way to a notebook under my seat ! It takes me
around a week of preparing, just to wheel a weekend...
Since I'm not really driving it on the street anymore, I
will save a spot in my book that would have read,
Disarm Bag... LOL ! :shiver:
Thank's Fellas, for the input !

yea, i only wish i remembered there was a concrete wall in front of me lol. really twisted the body up good on that one

Back