• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 76 f250?

zombiexj

NAXJA Forum User
I am planning on going with full width axles under my 2000 xj. I see a lot of guys going with 1976ish f150 d44 and a 9in. I came across a Guy at work that has a 76 f250 for free. Would the 250 axles work just the same as an f150?

It should, my FIL shorten a f250 D44 to waggy width. There is a bit more of the cast on the pumpkin that you have to deal with. But at full width, I would think there would be an issue. What type of arms are you planning on running?

F150 is 65" WMS to WMS. F250 can range from 67-69. F150 is 5 lug and f250 is 8 lug but can be changed to 5 lug pretty easily.

Last edited:
Ok, so i went and looked at the truck after i got off work today. dana 60 in the rear (good news) and the front is open knuckle disc brake. now do i need reverse cut? how do i know? sorry for the n00b questions. i just want to get this right before i go through the trouble of pulling this heap of crap out of the weeds.

On paper a HP is better in a front axle application going forward since the pinion is using the drive side of the ring gear. In a front application going backwards, a LP is using the drive side of the ring gear. Make sense?

It's really a crap shoot, but the main selling point to me is the driveshaft clearance. HP helps with angles and also keeps it up away from the rocks.

For the price D44 fronts sell for, I'd hold out for a HP axle myself.

And the rear D60 isn't great in stock form. 30-spline shafts that are no better than stock D44 30-spline shafts.

Ford F250, D44's (8 lug), require changing all components from the inner "c's" out, if you want the 5 on 5-1/2 lug pattern. In other words, you need the 1/2-ton D44 knuckles, hubs, rotors, etc for the conversion.
As suggested above, the best authority on Dana axles is: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

i actually just came across a guy selling the d 44 and the 9in out of his 79 bronco. i think thats the way im going to go. he only wants $175 for both

Back