• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3rd Power Steering Pump replacement in one year

puffydad

NAXJA Forum User
Like the title says I will have replaced 3 p/s pumps within the past year. All of the pumps have been reman pumps, 2 from Auto Zone and the latest one I am going to replace is from Checker. All of the pumps have been leaking severely from the back of the pump where the reservoir and pump meet. The last pump I replaced was because the bearings blew and I’ll admit it’s probably because I did not monitor the fluid level like I should have. I wish I could just chalk it up to bad reman parts, but 3 pumps? :flamemad:

To give a little background on the steering upgrades I have performed. About 2 years ago I upgraded my steering to the HD Currie system (Tie Rod and Drag Link), and to a Durango gearbox with a C-Rok Brace as my old steering box was getting ready to die plus I wanted a stronger steering box to help with the beefier Currie system.

I am thinking that this time around instead of going with another reman I would buy an AGR Performance P/S pump with a remote reservoir in hopes avoiding any more issues. Is going with a brand new more powerful pump going to fix this or are there other things I need to consider?

Any assistance or insight you can give me is greatly appreciated.

98 XJ 4.0L Auto
3.5” RE Lift
31” BFG ATA
Chrysler 8.25 Rear LSD
Dana 30 Front with Aussie Lockers
Currie HD Steering Upgrade

Well, I haven't been happy with re-manufactured parts for some time. Imagine a large sea/land container filled to the brim with used parts--water pumps, starters, PS pumps, alternators, any thing automotive you can buy re-manufactured. Now, imagine that container arriving in a foreign country where they strip everything in it down, clean it, do the minimum possible to make it work and pass a "quality control" inspection, then boxed neatly and shipped back to the good old U.S. of A. where a chain parts store throws a life-time warranty on it, just for you! Now, do you really think the quality of that rebuilt part is up to snuff?

You have been burned three times--fool you once, shame on them, fool you twice, shame on you...

Does failure of three re-manufactured PS pumps mean you should upgrade to a NEW PS pump, or a High Performance pump? Maybe you should call Currie and see what they think, you are using their steering upgrade. You are running 31s, just doesn't seem to be that much stressing the pump, but maybe its the AZ heat adding to the excessive death rate.

Good luck.

Just did mine last sat, used a reman, it is literally the FIRST PS pump I have ever had to replace, in anything. Going to find one of those nifty pulley pullers to add to the tool box.

I hear what you are saying Joe. I went reman because it was cheap and had a lifetime warranty. Now it comes down to what is more important to me my time or money right? I'd rather do things once, which is why I am asking for everyone's advice.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is definitely better to have your own puller. After having to replace the pump 3 times, my brother and I have become quite adept at it. Plus considering how many times the auto parts place puller was broken/missing parts etc.

How's your belt tension? Are there any shavings in the fluid? Did you flush out the steering box before installing the new pump?

If the belt tension is too high, there are shavings in the fluid, or shavings and junk in the steering box, it can kill the new pump pretty quickly.

Belt tension was fine with one of the gauges we borrowed. I figure with all of the leaking its the same thing as a flush (LOL). But honestly no real flush has been performed we always examined whatever fluid was left for shavings or debris and nothing has been seen. The fluid is always crystal clear as well. I guess I'll do a search on how to do a flush.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Sounds like you're fine actually... you'd be able to see it. I dunno man, good luck.

I installed an AGR pump and steering box last month on my '98. i also am running a currie currectlync tie rod and drag link and a C-ROK steering brace. i have 32 x 10.5 mud terrains that it has no problem turning. very smooth.
did you replace the o-ring between the reservoir and the pump? i swapped a few steering pumps uin my jeep over the last year and half and had leaks every time i didnt replace the o-ring.

did you replace the o-ring between the reservoir and the pump? i swapped a few steering pumps uin my jeep over the last year and half and had leaks every time i didnt replace the o-ring.

Bassfishin - Are you saying to detach the reservoir from the pump and replace the o-ring? During the last swap out we took apart the OLD p/s pump from the reservoir and the o-ring looked fine, not pinched or torn. When you replace the o-ring do you go to a thicker size? (sorry if I am not using the correct terminology)

I just wonder if the Durango box has anything to do with it. I searched all around for anyone having problems with the Durango box swap but all those issues were lack of turning. My non-mechanically inclined diagnosis is that something is causing higher pressure than normal in the pump to leak and the p/s to whine all the time.

Yeah, if you're just swapping pumps, but not getting a new res, that o-ring can be problematic. Cost me a whole day of ColoradoFest to stop a leak. I probably tried 8 different o-rings, and combinations thereof. I ended up getting one that was slightly oversized, and put it in the pump housing first, then used one of the originals on the reservoir nipple, then put it together.

If I put the bigger o-ring on the nipple, it wouldn't fit into the housing. None of the o-rings were nicked, or dried out. I couldn't find a part number for the o-ring, and the parts store I was at didn't have a new res, but the o-ring would have come with the res, if I had ordered one. A new res is only $28 bucks, and I would have bought one right away, if I'd known how much trouble I was going to have.

Steve

My reman came with a res installed.

After suffering from multiple poor quality rebuilt pumps from Rock Auto, Napa and O'Rielly's, three years ago I gave up and bought a PSC pump and have enjoy trouble free steering since.
To help the pump live longer, a cooler has been installed and I always use a inline filter in the return line.

I have just about stopped using remanufactured parts.
The lifetime warranties just guarantee that I will be spending a lot of time swapping out crap parts for other crap parts.
I'm getting too old for this and would prefer driving rather than wrenching on the same parts over and over.

The lifetime warranties just guarantee that I will be spending a lot of time swapping out crap parts for other crap parts.
I'm getting too old for this and would prefer driving rather than wrenching on the same parts over and over.

I know this an old post but I just have to say Right On Brother.

I know this an old post but I just have to say Right On Brother.

Agree.

One of our customers with an 02 Dodge R2500 had a blown blower motor resistor pack January 2012--no one in town had any in stock except a discount parts store with the same initials as a SW state. Now, that little part cost MORE than the part from the dealer, and has failed THREE TIMES in one year. We finally bought the one from the dealer to replace the carptastic (reverse the a and r to get the secret code) "lifetime warranty" part and are fighting with the store for a credit.

PS--we ALMOST never use that line of stores for this very reason. A "lifetime warranty" is worth carp when you have to keep changing it out.

Though I am not a fan of Autozoo remans, My 88 ate PS pumps about once a year and every year I was back getting a new pump. I even switched to a newer style pump (97 model year) and continued to be plagued with failures. Around 7 yrs ago the gearbox started leaking. I replaced it, along with the pump (because I had it apart I figugred another warranty exchange would not hurt) I also replaced the pressure and return hose. The new box was a ZJ box (much better) All this said, it has been 7 yrs knock on wood without a failure. (this is a cardone box with a cardone pump)

I'm now convinced that maybe I should have installed a filter because it now dawned on me that there must be crud in the system causing my pumps to fail every year since 100% replacement has been solid.

I love to blame reman parts but , in this instance i'm convinced its contamination from the first pump failure killing the pumps..

I went through 5 WJ pumps from Autozone in the last year.

Back