• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2008 Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7 Engine in an XJ??

Re: 2008 DODGE RAM CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL 6.7 ENGINE in a XJ??

WAAAAAAAY too big. and heavy. and you'd be snapping drivelines/axles/u-joints/frames at idle :D

Re: 2008 DODGE RAM CUMMINS TURBO DIESEL 6.7 ENGINE in a XJ??

Uh yeah...........NO! 4bt is about all you're gonna get in it........wonder if I can fit an 18L Cummins in my jeep......:D

i don't know what a 6.7 weighs, but the 12v is around 1k lbs! so you do the math, can it be done? TOTALY!!!:rof: get all the stuff you need and start taking pictures, lots of pictures. last but not least start a bild thread and post often.

wayyyyy to big and heavy. That motor weighs over 1000 lbs. you would need a very very beefy suspension and I wouldnt run anything but 1 tons under it. not to mention I dont think it would fit. The torque of the engine alone would destroy a unibody I feel. I wouldnt throw anything but a 4BT in a cherokee, which is what I plan for in the future :)

Yeah,that is what I was thinking. A mechanic I work with took a look at my XJ and made a suggestion. I already have the 4.9 stroker mapped out then he ran this by me. I started thinking about it but I had the same draw backs--too heavy, too much torque, and too much for the unibody. It might be possible, but it would take reinforcing the unibody, probably cutting out some room in the firewall, and making something of a tube frame to support the suspension. Can it be done? Sure, but would it be worth it? Probably not.

A 6.7L CTD would be amazing in a half ton truck tho :D

When I had my dakota I was thinking about putting a 4BT in, but never got around to it before me and my ex split, and took the truck. Thought about it in my XJ, but a GM LSx/LQ motor makes more sense to me.

I wouldnt throw anything but a 4BT in a cherokee, which is what I plan for in the future :)

I work for Cummins. I know a few of the R&D guys, one being my cousin. I don't know what they do because its pretty well kept under wraps but I know they do R&D. One guy swapped one into his TJ and my cousins is next I hope. The stock 4 banger is hurting turning a set of 33's! :bawl:

yeah a 6.7 is all well and good, cool idea, but did you know the exhaust for those trucks run over 6 grand? just the exhaust... im all for a big diesel in a cherokee, but damn, use a 12 valve 5.9 not a 6.7 too much emissions garbage to deal with... just my $0.02

Need tons of body/rail stiffing. IF you looking for this to hold up for the LONG haul and use that engine to anywere near MAX. You will need to upgrade the brakes,steering, supension, coolant systems, trany/tcase driveshafts, diffs. tires charging/starting systems.
If you just want to drop it in and beat it till it drops COOL too keep us posted.

Last edited:
I will have to look at the 5.9. Seems a smaller engine. I took a look at the 4BT, but it is rather low on HP (130 HP). I kicking around the idea of a diesel, but a package deal--engine, wiring harness (with ECU), and maybe transmission. Makes the swap much easier. Yeah, I know about the 6.9 emissions. A bit much. Anyone have any other considerations for a diesel somewhere between the 4BT and the 6? I will have to check into the 5.9. I think I have a manual on it somewhere.

Thanks

I will have to look at the 5.9. Seems a smaller engine. I took a look at the 4BT, but it is rather low on HP (130 HP). I kicking around the idea of a diesel, but a package deal--engine, wiring harness (with ECU), and maybe transmission. Makes the swap much easier. Yeah, I know about the 6.9 emissions. A bit much. Anyone have any other considerations for a diesel somewhere between the 4BT and the 6? I will have to check into the 5.9. I think I have a manual on it somewhere.

Thanks

The 5.9 and 6.7 are the same size from what I understand. Still a 1000 lb engine. If you are dead set on a 6bt, put it in a full size jeep. Pretty sure any 6bT is gonna pretzel an XJ. That said I have seen a 6bt in a YJ on youtube. The VM motori 5 banger seems like a viable option for an XJ.

What exactly are you going for here? I mean I understand wanting big power, and I understand the awesomeness of diesel, and I understand the Jeep thing... but not all at once lol. The only Jeeps that need lots of ponies are the mudders, and even then it's really the rails that need the big numbers. But with those you really want to stay as light as you can, seeing as you're trying to go over a liquid. And with crawlers you don't really need huge HP, we need torque, and a diesel that isn't souped up enough to tear an XJ in half will still give you good torque. Regardless, if you want big diesel power in a Jeep, picking the one without a frame to stick it in isn't your best move.
So what are your goals for this build you're wanting to do?

Last edited:
You can do anything with enough time and money, the question is how much of each do you have available?

I had a funny dream about a diesel in a Jeep. One of the marine engineers here (who does pro-drag racing) ran it by me too. But after doing the numbers, it just doesn't fit. I wish made something between the 4bt and the 6bt. I will stick with my 4.9 stroker. I think that is enough to play around with for now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Too big, too heavy, too much power.

4bt is still a tight fight into the xj, a 6bt block would require soo much extra work.

IF i had to do this, i would take a dodge frame, chop it down to xj length, then bolt the unibody on top of the frame.

Back