• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaking/blowing oil

71nova

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 xj manual 185,000. I have been driving back and forth from central utah to cheyenne over the past 5 or 6 months. on the freeway. 6" lift, 12.50x35/15.
when I was home over the weekend I changed my oil and it came out almost two quarts low, normally it leaks but not as noticable amount as this.
So on the way back up to cheyenne yesterday I was pulling off the freeway to get gas when my motor blew out a bunch of oil and smoke all behind me. I pulled into the gas station, as the oil pressure dropped almost completely. Got out and oil was leaking out all over. I figured it had blown the pan gasket, that appears to be where the oil has been leaking from. So I got a big jug of 40wt, I usually run 30wt. Poured it all in then drove into town to find a parts store, I got a pan gasket, valve cover gasket(I have a noisy valve, hopefuly justs needs to be tightened). Anyway I made it the 150 miles in to cheyenne without doing any repair work or without my oil pressure dropping under 20(I tried to keep it up to 40, in my mind to keep the oil away from the blown gasket.
Anyway this morning I got up went to work and then stopped and got rear main seal. All day today it has leaked maybe 12 drops.

Is this the rear main seal fixing itself, or what else could it be?

This weekend when I get time Im going to open her up and replace all those gaskets just to be sure, like I said it does leak a little oil normally.

Also what would have caused it to blow like that?, the pressure was around 20 but I was going about 75. It also waited till I let off the gas and slowed down to blow.

You may have pressurized your crankcase. Check your air filter and see if it is oil contaminated.

Try servicing the CCV system. Make sure the filtered fresh air supply to the front of the valve cover is open, make sure the orifice in the rear of the valve cover is clear, that the vacuum line from the VC orifice to the manifold is clear, and that the vacuum port on the manifold that the vacuum line attaches to is clear.

Get some Simple Green and mix it 50/50 with water, then clean the engine compartment being careful not to drown the TPS and the distributor. Hose off the Simple Green with gentle pressure again avoiding the components above.

Now, the big leak sources--RMS, pan gasket, valve cover gasket, OFA o-rings, oil pressure sending unit. Watch those for leaks and fix what needs it.

Note that there is a "J" hose off the air box that runs to the front valve cover grommet. That "J" hose like to rot on the inside and will collapse when driving and cause CCV issues.

Also, once the repairs are made--especially the OFA o-rings/sending unit--it would be a good idea to rent a mechanical oil pressure gauge and check your actual oil pressure.

Good luck.

Back