• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disributor rotar slot position at TDC?

always89

NAXJA Forum User
So, I got a 96 4.0. The engine runs fine, but when I pulled it, I removed the rotar and misplaced it. Here is my question. When the #1 cylinder is at TDC, should the vertical slot on the rotar shaft point towrds the #1 wire? Or, should it 180 out from the wire?

Not getting your point. You pulled the distributor and need to re-index it to TDC on number 1 on the compression stroke, or you removed the rotor from the distributor and just need to put it back in? If you just need to put the rotor back in it only goes one way.

Ya, I figured that was going to be a hard one to understand. Heres another stab at it.

Im trying to index #1 at TDC

Head is off the block

Distributor is in, but the rotar is missing

Got the #1 piston all the way to the top, and the timing indicator on the crank pully is pointing at 0

Question is, does the vertical slot on the rotar shaft point at the #1 wire when at tpc or should it be 180 out?

another way to ask this: is the indexer that is inside the rotar sleeve on the front or back of the rotar?

Like Joe said, I think the rotor only goes on the shaft one way.

You're missing one rather important piece of information regarding #1 TDC: compression or exhaust? At #1 TDC, the rotor tip will point to #1 or #4 plug wires. If you haven't pulled the distributor, just put the rotor back on.

So, I got a 96 4.0. The engine runs fine, but when I pulled it, I removed the rotar and misplaced it. Here is my question. When the #1 cylinder is at TDC, should the vertical slot on the rotar shaft point towrds the #1 wire? Or, should it 180 out from the wire?

OK... You are trying to index the distributor shaft and rotor correctly to reinstall the distributor.
Remove the No. 1 sparkplug rotate the crank shaft CW with a ratchet until you are at TDC of the compression stroke.
Look at the bottom of the distributor body and you will find a small hole (approximately 1/8") for an alignment tool (small model paint brush worked for me).
You will insert the alignment tool from the top thru a hole in the base plate and then thru the hole in the distributor bottom.
This ensures that the distributor shaft is aligned for No. 1 cylinder and now insert the distributor into the block.
If the distributor meets resistance and wont go in; you will need to rotate the distributor slightly CCW and the body will rotate as the gear and slot meshes.
By doing this you are trying to align the male slot in the distributor shaft with the female slot on the oil pump drive.
Replaced the distributor and gasket recently on my 1998 so this is the method recommended in the Factory Service Manual.
You may have to attempt this a couple times, but it will work.

Last edited:
OK... You are trying to index the distributor shaft and rotor correctly to reinstall the distributor.

He's just trying to put the rotor back on...it only goes on one way. He didn't remove the dist.

OP...just put the rotor back on, there's a slot, you can't put it on wrong.

He's just trying to put the rotor back on...it only goes on one way. He didn't remove the dist.

OP...just put the rotor back on, there's a slot, you can't put it on wrong.

Thanks for the clarification....
Don't worry which cylinder the rotor is pointing at; just match the notch inside the rotor to the groove on the distributor shaft.

Ya, I figured that was going to be a hard one to understand. Heres another stab at it.

Im trying to index #1 at TDC

Head is off the block

Distributor is in, but the rotar is missing

Got the #1 piston all the way to the top, and the timing indicator on the crank pully is pointing at 0

Question is, does the vertical slot on the rotar shaft point at the #1 wire when at tpc or should it be 180 out?

another way to ask this: is the indexer that is inside the rotar sleeve on the front or back of the rotar?

He needs to reassemble the engine before he can install the distributor in the correct position or have any reasonable chance of finding TDC on the compression stroke.

CharlesS has it!
I have no problem putting the rotar back on. Like you guys said, it only goes on one way. My problem is, its a used motor, came with the distributor, but no rotor. The rotar shaft on the distributor has a slot. All I need to know is, should the slot that the rotar fits in on the back of the shaft when at TDC or 180 out? I am changing the rotar out with the one off the old engine. I just wanted to make sure the engine was at tdc before pulling the old rotar.

Im good now folks. Thanks for the input. I ended up going to the local parts store and looking at a rotar. The index is at the back of the rotar, so the slot should be 180 degrees out from #1 @ tdc.

Back