• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 front question

xjphil18

NAXJA Forum User
how would someone get a 5 on 4.5 on a front dana 44? Id love to do it but my rear 9 inch is 5 on 4.5 and im not gonna change that. and yes i understand id have to weld new brackets on the 44

You have two options, leave the axle full width or narrow it. I left mine full width and went with a set of spacers in the rear that converted from the normal 5x4.5" over to the 5x5.5". It brought the width of the rear closer to the width of the front.

Another relatively cheap alternative is to go with a 9" rear axle. You can set them up to 5x5.5"

*Buy a TJ Rubicon front LP44
*Find an ultra rare Venezuelan XJ front HP44
*Buy one of the after market front LP44s(basically the same as a Rubicon 44)
*Cut the inner C's off of a normal 44, and weld on TJ/YJ/XJ/MJ/ZJ inner C's and use XJ/TJ.... outers.

'75-'79 Dodges have front 44s with a 5x4.5 pattern. Cutt down a front HP44 to waggy length, then use Dodge knuckles with a hub conversion to get a HP44 with lockouts and the 5x4.5 pattern

'75-'79 Dodges have front 44s with a 5x4.5 pattern. Cutt down a front HP44 to waggy length, then use Dodge knuckles with a hub conversion to get a HP44 with lockouts and the 5x4.5 pattern

id love to do that but that sounds waaay over my budget but maybe im wrong.. plus i dont know the first thing about cutting down axles to be honest.. obviously id cut the housing but what about the shafts? i dont know welding isnt a problem just the lack of knowledge i guess

check with a local machine shop; they can most likely redrill and tap your existing rear axles to the new bolt circle ( in between the existing 5 holes) as well as drill your drums/ rotors for the new bolt circle. Should be pretty inexpensive. Then just buy 10 new socket head cap screws and loctite them in for the new wheel studs and you are in business. I did this on and old 8 3/4 mopar before and worked great. All you will have to know how to do is pull the axles and put them back in.

That wouldn't really go well unless he did a did something like a waggy(or waggy width) with Dodge knuckles, then his rear axle would be wider than the front, can cause issues with his turning radius.

OP: How wide/what is your 9" out of/from?

id have to measure but that is what i am afraid of.. if i remember correctly it is somewhere around the same width as my buddy's 8.8 and that was my original concern with this idea. Id rather mess around with the 44 (when i get one) before screwing with the only solid thing on my truck so far haha

That wouldn't really go well unless he did a did something like a waggy(or waggy width) with Dodge knuckles, then his rear axle would be wider than the front, can cause issues with his turning radius.

OP: How wide/what is your 9" out of/from?

Just another option I was throwing out there.

I'm guessing (just going out on a limb) that he could have a 9" from a torino, which would give him a stock 5x4.5 pattern and would be a 60" WMS to WMS. If he went with a full width front, then he could use the spacers to get him to a close width.

it would work but i dont wanna run full widths this thing will still see the street

I'd say your best bet is to do a waggy front with Dodge knuckles(Knuckle swap would be pretty bolt on), or get a Rubi 44 front or an after market like from G2 or Northridge4x4. Maybe an early bronco 44, but they have an odd center section offset, and require a 2 piece front D/S from what I've seen.

isnt a rubi 44 not really a 44?

Well, yes and no.... It is a 44 as far as the differential and gearing goes..... mostly, meaning that any differential meant for a Dana 44 will work, and aside form the stock air locker, any gears meant for a 44 will work. The stock Rubi locker is actually the same size as a 3.73 and numerically lower geared carrier. Thats why they make them with thick cut gears for 4.10 and numerically higher.

Otherwise the axle tubes and knuckles are Dana 30 stuff.

Then just buy 10 new socket head cap screws and loctite them in for the new wheel studs and you are in business. I did this on and old 8 3/4 mopar before and worked great. All you will have to know how to do is pull the axles and put them back in.
hate to call you out on this but that's pretty ghetto, new wheel studs are like 2 bucks each at the parts store and press right in. Heck, you could knock the old ones out of the old holes and press em into the new holes. Pressing them in is not as hard as it sounds, you can do it with a stack of 1/2" washers and an old lug nut.

Back