• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To swap from a 231 to the 242 T_Case, What is needed?

ItZaJeePThiNG

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1994 XJ sport with automatic np231. I just got an NP242 and need to know what do I need to make this swap work correctly?????

Can I just swap the transfer cases and get on my way or not?
I could not attain any linkages, or driveshafts so what kind of parts will i need to make this happen captain?
ALL readers input welcome please post...

thanks in advance,

ADAM

You are doing it wrong. What would make you want to put a 242 in place of your 231? I dreaded that damn thing and was so happy to be rid of it.

Well you need to know the spline count/length of the donor to know if it will work in your rig.

I have a 1994 XJ sport with automatic np231. I just got an NP242 and need to know what do I need to make this swap work correctly?????

Can I just swap the transfer cases and get on my way or not?
I could not attain any linkages, or driveshafts so what kind of parts will i need to make this happen captain?
ALL readers input welcome please post...

thanks in advance,

ADAM
The transfercases have different shift gates. Since the 242 has a slightly longer throw, the cutout is a little longer. Nothing a file can't fix.

You are doing it wrong. What would make you want to put a 242 in place of your 231? I dreaded that damn thing and was so happy to be rid of it.
Because the 242 is a good case and gets a bad rap from people who don't know anything about it. I enjoyed mine before I put a 241OR in, why didn't you like it?

Well you need to know the spline count/length of the donor to know if it will work in your rig.
Yep, as RCP said since you have a '94, you have a 23 spline output shaft on your transmission, so you need a 23 spline transfercase.

You're doing it wrong. You're answering a question that wasn't asked. :greensmok
Yes.

the np242 is from a 95 xj sport with automatic, (no stupid rubber boot) i did not get the linkage because there was none. same goes for shifter bezel and the dash light.

spline count is: 23 on the transmission(input) side and 27 on the driveshaft(output) side

according to a decent thread i found earlier tonight the specs on these two cases are the same as far as bolting up to the same transmission and driveshaft combo...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1003786&highlight=transfer+case+swap

"1993-1995 DTS207-1 NP231J 23 Spline input 27 spline ear slip output tow piece tail shaft housing, fixed front yoke tow wire shift indicator above shift lever 1.750" speedo hole, .750" exposed input shaft

1991-1995 DTS208-3 NP242J Select-Trac, 23 spline input, 27 spline rear slip, .750" exposed input shaft, fixed front yoke, tow piece tail shaft housing, w/1.750 exposed input shaft, fixed front yoke, tow piece tail shaft housing, w/1.75" speedo hole, tow wire shift indicator in speedo housing"

so please correct me if im wrong...

94-95 is direct interchange so no problem with shafts

The shift gate is different, you can hack yours or pull one from a junkyard. The positions on the shifter are different too, of course, since the 242 has an extra position.

There is a small wiring harness that will be needed to make the dash light work. See this thread, you might be able to find one in a junkyard. The light itself is just a bulb.

What's the shiftgate? Any pictures so I know exactly what
I'm looking for????

The bezel is no biggie, I can get that easily
I did get two wiring harnesses with the case
One has two pin conn. The other three pin
And it attaches to a speed sensor on the case.

Bad picture, but if you follow the green arrow, you'll see the little plate that the shifter handle actually slides through. (ignore the wire harness scattered about, I was tearing that Jeep apart at that moment)

CopyofDSC_0485.jpg

The handle slips into a rotating rod in the base plate. The linkage connects the rotating rod to the transfer case selection lever. (your 231 linkage will work fine for the 242 but it will need to be adjusted)

The gate is the plate that controls the directional throw of the shifter handle. EG it has a stop position to keep you from pulling the handle all the way back in one throw (you have to pull the handle sideways, then pull it backwards again). The 231 and 242 have different gear positions (neutral is in different place), and the length of the throw is different too, so you need the 242 gate. You can modify the 231 gate but its so easy to pull a 242 gate it's not worth the trial and error time penalty.

I did get two wiring harnesses with the case
[...] The other three pin
And it attaches to a speed sensor on the case.

If the speedo plugs are different you will need to pull the speedo out of your original 231 and swap it into the 242. Do not mess with the wiring--the different sender units are incompatible. It's very easy to replace the assemblies, just make sure to mark the tab position (nail polish or whatever) so that you can get the teeth lined up right on reinstall

The handle slips into a rotating rod in the base plate. The linkage connects the rotating rod to the transfer case selection lever. (your 231 linkage will work fine for the 242 but it will need to be adjusted)

The gate is the plate that controls the directional throw of the shifter handle. EG it has a stop position to keep you from pulling the handle all the way back in one throw (you have to pull the handle sideways, then pull it backwards again). The 231 and 242 have different gear positions (neutral is in different place), and the length of the throw is different too, so you need the 242 gate. You can modify the 231 gate but its so easy to pull a 242 gate it's not worth the trial and error time penalty.

Be sure to use the 242 plate, as the linkage must be (perfectly) adjusted if you want that thing to live in your jeep. If your bushings are worn and adjuster seized address this before you drive it. The 242 almost cost me my life thats why the harsh words. And three cases later I was just tired of the damn thing, poor reliability, popping out of gears etc. The only thing I liked was the fulltime mode for winter driving. The 231 has been serving me well and parts chains, sprockets are way cheaper. The transfer case can be easily modded and beefed up. Just wondering why you want to get rid of it?

where can i find a master overhaul kit for this np242?
the normal 4wd dot com and quadratec dont have one for the 95xj.

???
And it begins!! I paid over $230 cnd for just a chain!all bearings and seals had to be ordered individually, the cost just gets to be too much

Back