• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LSD DIFF

Puertoricancheroke

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm newbie here, and wanted to you guys to know that this site is awsome!!!

I wanted to ask you about an LSD diff thatI got. A friend of mine gave me his old diff from a 98 ford explorer v8. Its and lsd diff. He replaced it because one of the bearings went down, so he replaced the whole thing.
I got the old diff cause the disc brakes I can use them for my ranger. I was thinking of using it for my truck, but I wanted to know if it can be used on a Dana 44 from my dad's 87 waggy

Those who know, can it be done???

Only if the explorer had a D44(that wouldn't be the factory Ford axle).

Likely its a Ford 8.8; you could convert that to go under the 87 by converting it for leaf springs, ruffstuff makes a kit.

However, lot of expense to end up with an axle possibly less than your D44.

Last edited:
If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if the disk brakes from the 8.8 can be installed on the D44 right? If so then they can be installed with some minor modification. You may have to open up the inner diameter of the backing plates so they will slide on to the end of the axle tube and you might have to redrill the backing plate bolt holes if they don't line up but I am fairly sure it has been done.

Geez, I thought he wanted to put the LSD in his dad's 87 Waggy and the disc brakes on his Ranger, but re-reading the original post I'm not so sure now?

Geez, I thought he wanted to put the LSD in his dad's 87 Waggy and the disc brakes on his Ranger, but re-reading the original post I'm not so sure now?

You Got it right, its that the lsd is froma ford explorer, but its just the center piece, what goes inside (sorry for my poor english):gee:
it was given to me after one bearing failed in the original diff. and since he bought another one, he was going to throw it away

Back