• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cheap backup alternaror...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
Will carry extra starter and alternator on trips to and from ny and fl., have starter, need alternator.

Scenarios:

1. pull from boneyard

2. cheapo from Ottozone or PepPills Boys, etc...

3. local rebuilder.

What would you do?!?

Thanks,

mikeny59 said:
Will carry extra starter and alternator on trips to and from ny and fl., have starter, need alternator.

Scenarios:

1. pull from boneyard

2. cheapo from Ottozone or PepPills Boys, etc...

3. local rebuilder.

What would you do?!?

Thanks,

Local rebuilder. Explain it's a backup, and have it thoroly tested.

If you pull it from a boneyard, you'll want it tested anyhow. If you get it from a chain store, the odds that it works when you need it will not be in your favour...

Even if you pay some more for a local rebuilder vice a chain store (oddly, I don't,) you're going to be dealing with the man who does the actual work, so you'll know who to go swear at if you need to... Chances are, you won't need to.

5-90

Two guys in area we used to use like twenty-five years ago, see what a coreless goes for.

Thanks...

Not for anything, I know an alternator's complicated, things wear out, but seeing that I have the shroud pulled already (bottom) would it hurt any spraying the h#$k out of it with electrical contact and/or electrical degreaser?

Thanks again!

The thing that generally kills an alternator is bearings. The bearings get sloppy, the the rotor hits the stator, and---smoke. When my alternator went, I bought a rebuilt from a reputable chain. Six months latter, and 2000 miles away from home--smoke! I took it to a local Jeep dealer who installed a Jeep re-manufactured unit. That unit was on the engine when I sold it. I did, however, pull it off at25000 miles and install new bearings, as preventive maintenance; it was beginning to whine, a sign of tired bearings, so I preempted "smoke". I might suggest installing the "spare" alternator, and saving the one you know that works for the spare. It's been more than once that I have bought something new as a spare, only to find out, in a clutch, that it was bad from the factory.

Never thought of that. I do it w/belt/hoses/clamps, I indirectly did with the oem starter (don't ask why), taking the oem off, servicing it, and having that as a reliable ain't a bad idea,

Thanks!

Back