• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Does anyone see a problem with....

CaliXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Removing a leaf out of my leaf packs? Just received my replacement leafs from RC and was thinking of removing the bottom leaf out of each pack. Will this just give me a softer ride? Or will this cause me more problems later down the road?

Hahaha. I didn't even think of the warranty part. I guess I should being how this is my second set in 6 mo. As far as shackle relocation brackets go... I blew it and spent that $$ on JKS shackles.

Better yet,use them,give them a chance to settle in!Did you remember to put a load on them before tightening the all the bolts?

Better yet,use them,give them a chance to settle in!Did you remember to put a load on them before tightening the all the bolts?

Haven't installed the new ones yet. Been running the old ones for 6 mo. And it still rides like a dump truck.

I been wondering about this too. I have their 4" spring packs and they are super rough. Even with the relocation brackets they are stiff. It bounces a bit back there when unloaded and drives me insane, especially after just eating out somewhere. My packs have 5 leaves in them.

DSCF6916.jpg

I'm thinking of experimenting and removing the 2nd to last leaf or the middle leaf.

I been wondering about this too. I have their 4" spring packs and they are super rough. Even with the relocation brackets they are stiff. It bounces a bit back there when unloaded and drives me insane, especially after just eating out somewhere. My packs have 5 leaves in them.

DSCF6916.jpg

I'm thinking of experimenting and removing the 2nd to last leaf or the middle leaf.

I noticed the 2nd spring from the bottom has the clips that keeps them from fanning out. I would think that one needs to stay. What is the actual purpose of the overload spring? For someone that doesn't tow.. Is it really needed?

I noticed the 2nd spring from the bottom has the clips that keeps them from fanning out. I would think that one needs to stay. What is the actual purpose of the overload spring? For someone that doesn't tow.. Is it really needed?

You can fab up clips out of 1/2" x 6" x 1/8 (or 1/16)" steel. I made my own before for my old man emu spring packs.

When i removed the overload spring on my OME packs, they would invert very easily when loaded up and they got weak overtime. Inverting springs is kinda bad. Keep that overload on there.

From 4.3L XJ,
The spring needs to be supported in the middle. If it is not, it will flex too much there at the spring perch and take the temper out of the metal. Which translates "sag"

Last edited:
Hey Chris, remove the bottom and substitute a flat leaf. This will smooth out the ride and the thickness of the leaf will compensate for lose of a little height.

Where do I get a flat leaf?

I don't mind losing up to an inch of height cuz I have 4.5" up front and 6" in the rear. It's ass high a little.

Last edited:
Pick and pull I think. I would recommend the S10 flat leaf. It has a very slight arch to it and would allow you to custom tune it a little by flipping the leaf.

Pick and pull I think. I would recommend the S10 flat leaf. It has a very slight arch to it and would allow you to custom tune it a little by flipping the leaf.

Hmm i saw a godzillion s-10's at my pick n pull. Do you know what diameter center pin they use on the springs and how thick the leaf is? My RC packs use 3/8" bolts.

3/8" center bolts. Should work well. If you just removed that bottom leaf, it would soften it up for sure. It looks like it is already too long anyway as evidenced by the way it is flexing in the middle more than the outer part. There is an air space there. The flat leaf will support the center so it doesn't flex too much, but still allow it to behave like the center leaf is not there.

3/8" center bolts. Should work well. If you just removed that bottom leaf, it would soften it up for sure. It looks like it is already too long anyway as evidenced by the way it is flexing in the middle more than the outer part. There is an air space there. The flat leaf will support the center so it doesn't flex too much, but still allow it to behave like the center leaf is not there.

Here's what went down:

I took off the bottom overload leaf. When I inspected the pack with the tires off, I noticed the overload was in the shape of a W. I knew it was under stress even with the jeep unloaded so this told me it would the culprit of the harsh ride. I was going to remove the 2nd leaf but I didn't like the idea of the short overload and then a very long leaf which would cause the leaves to bend at the overload. So I took off the overload leaf and bolted it all back up. I lost 1" inch of lift (about 3/8" from the leaf thickness and rest from height) and the ride improved alot. I am now 4.5" front 5" rear. It no longer bounces on bumps and is alot softer driving around. Kinda reminded me of my old man emu packs.

Since i took off the overload, I am going to find a set of s-10 overload leaves which are flat and install those instead. That way the pack can't invert during uptravel and the overload won't be working until it's loaded down instead of empty like it used to.

My pick n pull wanted $75 for two overload leaf springs and $150 for two full packs. I can't get myself to spend that much for two little flat leaves so I'm gonna post some wanted threads and hopefully someone will have a set.

Ok so i've taken both overload leafs off. (RC & Stock) The stock one is diff in a few ways but i think it will work. First off the centering pin hole in stock is a little smaller and will need to be drilled out to fit. If you line up the holes, the stock is shorter 1" at both ends and of course the arch is a lot less.
P8190180.jpg

P8190182.jpg

Just another update here. I ended up ditching the RC overload leaf and using a stock OL leaf. For those that are having issues with the rear sitting higher than the front. This levels it out quite nice. Ride has improved and I'm sure with HD relocation brackets.. That would be the hot ticket.

Back