• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear pinion ujoint cap loss

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
I have Tom Woods shafts front and rear with sye. Driving about 60 and BANG! I just replaced the ujoint in the rear about 60 miles ago. Rear driveshaft apparently lost a cap. So I'm guessing the clip came out and then the rotation threw the cap out. The last time I had vibes I was removing the crusty ujoint and think I bent the ears in. I made a tool with a bolt, nuts, and washers and bent them back to what seemed to be perfect, just enough room for both clips to be retained perfect. Apparently not.

Question is what may now be wrong. How much play is acceptable on the t/c output yoke? Also, the rear shaft ears stayed in the ujoint so it didnt hit the ground and it caps on the pinion yoke seem perfect and free moving.

I'm gonna send the shaft back to get rebalanced and rebuilt probably. Another stupid move on my part was sliding the shaft apart w/o marking it. So its probably outta balance.

I would agree that sliding the ds sections apart was not a wise decision, but it happens.
IF the sections were not reassembled at the same location; then the ds would be out of balance which may have caused your clips to vibrate loose if they weren't a snug fit.
Think you made a wise decision to have the ds rebalanced; the ds yoke ears can also be inspected for problems.

This is what Tom Woods told me. If you pull those bolts and the clips that hold the ujoint in place on the pinion, you must replace them. Whenever you torque down the straps they stretch a little. So when you replace a ujoint, you must replace the straps too. I can say from experience, that this is true. I have lost even 1350 joint caps due to the stretch.

straps held fine, it was the clips in the driveshaft ears. i should have replaced the straps your right, just didn't have any. off it goes to tom woods. gonna check my angles again thoroughly. i've never had one fail like this... normally if its going bad it will vibe and i've driven with vibes for 1000's of miles and then replace the joint. this time it vibed for 60 miles, light vibration then BANG. My wife almost peed herself. We were on our way to a phish show at deer creek. cops were everywhere. traffic was nuts. got it towed to the hotel, biked to the autozone for a 1/2 inch wrench, took off the shaft and drove home in 4 wheel high. wasn't real happy to notice the front vibing too.

Back