• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAR DRUM HELP!!!

DT|Ac1d

NAXJA Forum User
Alright just finished up the rear drums on my 87 xj (dana 35). Firstly the shoes aren't returning properly as seen in the video. Also The back pad (left) is even going out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tix2uS1n91I (the video hasn't finished processing so it may take a while for HD to be available).

Second, there is a pretty good amount of resistance between the shoes and drum when turning the drum. I tried adjusting the adjustment screw, but if I go any lower than I have it set it just falls out.

One thing to note, the spring on the crossbar is broken, about 1" directly below the front (right) yellow spring. I will fix this ASAP but no part stores had it in stock or could even get it, so its a dealer order thing.

I did new shoes (wagner thermoquiet), drums, new cylinders, new spring/hardware kit, and lastly another hardware kit that came with a new cable, adjustment screw, and the lower plate that the bottom return spring hooks to and upper plate that the cable wraps around.

Last edited:
Is your parking brake cable adjustment too tight for the new shoes?

OK, with the drum off... do NOT push the brake pedal. At least you did not pop a piston out of the wheel cylinder. You cannot expect both shoes to move at the same rate without the drum on, no happening. Path of least resistance and all.

Try adjusting until they are difficult to turn, then back off three clicls. Then let the shoes wear in a bit, try it again.

Alright, thanks for the no drum and pressing the brake advice. Realized that If I tapped the bottom of the right shoes slightly I was able to get the adjustment screw all the way screwed in and get the drum on. One EXTREMELY weird thing I noticed was when turning one drum, the other would go in the opposite direction. So if I was turning the driver side forward, the passenger side would go backward, is this normal?

Completely normal in an open rear-end. IE, no locker.

Cool, Kinda scared the crap out of me, thought I might be chewing up the ring gear or be putting excess wear on my tires. So is it normal for shoes not to fully seat themselfs after being pressed out?

Difficult to know what is going on with your drums. Did you have them turned? No lips or grooves? Many moons ago, shoes had to seat a bit. Sime new stuff is suoopsed to be ready to go.

Cool, Kinda scared the crap out of me, thought I might be chewing up the ring gear or be putting excess wear on my tires. So is it normal for shoes not to fully seat themselfs after being pressed out?

Nah, no work done on them other than what im doing today. Which you can see is pretty much a full replace aside from the e-brake plate and cable. The video I uploaded shows really well what I'm talking about when I say the shoes dont fully seat themselves.

The video only shows that you expect the rear shoes to operate properly... without drums. That is NOT gonna happen.

If the springs are new, the wheel cylinder is not leaking, the backing plate to shoe friction tabs are lubed, the parking brake cables are set corrctly, etc... etc... You cannot expect the shoes to return exacly on center and seat fully, they have no drum to keep them centered.

In other words... put the drum on. :)

Nah, no work done on them other than what im doing today. Which you can see is pretty much a full replace aside from the e-brake plate and cable. The video I uploaded shows really well what I'm talking about when I say the shoes dont fully seat themselves.

Back