• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 not downshifting

NVRwheels

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to look at a 96 xj 4.0 aw4. He says that it drives fine but when you come to a stop the Jeep trys to take off in 3rd gear. So you have to manually put it in first gear and then back in drive and it is fine.

What would this be?

It's probably starting in 4th, not 3rd which is usually caused by either no power to the trans computer. A bad shift solenoid is also possible depending on the exact symptoms, or much more rare would be a bad computer. The good news is that if it shifts manually, its not a mechanical problem but rather an electrical one. It might be a simple as a bad fuse for the tranny.

Basic trouble shooting can be found at - http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/magazines/1997-10/Shift Pointers/index.html

Agree, everything you need to know to check it is on that link.

You can unplug the TCU, drive it shifting manually just to confirm no mechanical or hydraulic issues. Shifting manually you get 1st in 1-2; 3rd in 3; 4th in D, reverse, neutral, park.

Good luck.

I am going to look at a 96 xj 4.0 aw4. He says that it drives fine but when you come to a stop the Jeep trys to take off in 3rd gear. So you have to manually put it in first gear and then back in drive and it is fine.

What would this be?

When my XJ did that, two of the shift solonoids were bad. Should you take the XJ home, do an Ohm test of the solonoids at the connector in the engine compartment. I do not remember what a good solonoid should read (after 5+ years).

Do what everyone above said to test it out. If the trans is good mechanicallyand the price is right, buy it, the electrical stuff can easily be fixed.
Food for thought, if the "A" or #1 solenoid is failed you will have only 3rd and 4th gear.

Alright guys i'm bringing this thread back from the dead. My brother got the XJ and hasn't done anything to diagnose the problem instead he has just been shifting it manually.

So I guess Its up to me to figure it out. So far I checked all the fuses under the hood and they all checked out as well as checked the NSS and it is working properly. What would you guys do next.

Thanks

Back