• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ruffstuff Lube locker

4LVLFWD

NAXJA Forum User
I got a countersunk 8.25 diff cover awhile ago and just now installing it, I am using a lubelocker also. With the lube locker it says to torque in a specific patern and at 15 ft/lbs then go around again at 35ft/lbs. When I went around @ 15 it was ok, then the first hex bolt i went around at 35 it started to strip. what torque should I do the final torque at? thanks.

IMO - Perhaps decrease the torque amount again (30 or 25), let it sit, then run it and see if it leaks?

It seems reasonable if cjsxj87 had similar issue and used less torque then go with that. My view is that this is only a problem if it leaks, does it really matter that this isn't too specific torque? After all this isn't like these are the ring bolts or something internal, they won't be "popping out".

I had this problem, I didnt torque them down all they way and they turned out fine.

Good to know, thanks.

IMO - Perhaps decrease the torque amount again (30 or 25), let it sit, then run it and see if it leaks?

It seems reasonable if cjsxj87 had similar issue and used less torque then go with that. My view is that this is only a problem if it leaks, does it really matter that this isn't too specific torque? After all this isn't like these are the ring bolts or something internal, they won't be "popping out".

Thats what Dan said, 22-25 ft/lbs. So thats what i went with.

the socket started to strip so went to sears (craftsmen) and got a new one (2nd). Then that snapped off. went back got one more (3rd) and bought another (4th) just in case and because i didnt want to drive back again. then of course it didnt break again, so now i got to go return the new one.

Forgot Dan has great customer service!! thanks DAN!!!:cheers:

Same issue, Started to strip fasteneers, so I just eyeballed it so to speak, no leaks.

Get a better socket.

x45439578934

while my regular hex bits are fine for any other job i do, i buy the nicest/highest quailty hex for the specfic purpose of JUST working with my ruffstuff covers. if you cant reach 35 lbs, jsut get it as tight as you can before stripping/breaking.

This torque in a pattern stuff isnt just a joke, you really have to do it. I put a lubelocker on my 8.25 and just snugged them up like I usually do and the bolts all loosened up after about a week and the cover nearly fell off and all my fluid ran out on the road.

Basically whatever you do, make sure it is tight.

Get a better socket.

I have a 3/16" allen from MAC tools and I can torque them to 35 lb ft all I want.

Dont have access to a tool truck, they only go to dealerships. :dunno: The craftsmen I do have, I'm happy with. lifetime warranty and all. Ill keep an eye on them, make sure that their are no leaks and no backing out.

This torque in a pattern stuff isnt just a joke, you really have to do it. I put a lubelocker on my 8.25 and just snugged them up like I usually do and the bolts all loosened up after about a week and the cover nearly fell off and all my fluid ran out on the road.

Basically whatever you do, make sure it is tight.

Blue loctite also helps. :shhh:

I keep my countersunk RuffStuffs with LubeLockers torqued to 25ft/lbs. Following the pattern, I do two passes at 15, two at 20, and two at 25. May be overkill on the passes, but it satisfies my mild OCD...

I just beat the snot out of them running Swamp Lake last week. Abused from the inside by my ARBs and from the outside by some unforgiving rocks. No leaks, loosening, or any other problems at 25ft/lbs.

Get some better fasteners than what came with the cover. I went to the hardware and found some grade 8 stove bolts of the same length/thread pitch and called it good.

Get some better fasteners than what came with the cover. I went to the hardware and found some grade 8 stove bolts of the same length/thread pitch and called it good.

Why? the countersunk bolts that come with them are the best/only ones that should be used with them.

I've seen this issue a few times. I recommend blue locktite on any aftermarket thicker cover with new bolts. The stock cover and stock bolts hold up just fine and won't come loose but aftermarket stuff has a habit of doing that.

oh a lubelocker is for wusses who are scared to get RTV on them :D

RTV is fine and I've never had a problem with it, but I do like my Lube Locker. On a the trail when I have to pop the cover, I don't have to worry about cleaning all the old RTV off to put the cover back on. Just makes trail repairs that little bit simpler.

RTV is fine and I've never had a problem with it, but I do like my Lube Locker. On a the trail when I have to pop the cover, I don't have to worry about cleaning all the old RTV off to put the cover back on. Just makes trail repairs that little bit simpler.

Actually you don't need to clean off the old rtv. RTV conforms to everything it sticks to an fills in the gaps if you use enough of it. I've gotten lazy once or twice and just tossed on bead without cleaning. Didn't leak a drop. I wouldn't do it everytime though. :)

The ease of use of a lubelocker is pretty nice though. Is this seal a lifetime piece or does it wear out eventually?

Last edited:
I torque my riddlers down to 12 ft. lbs. and no more. I have never had an issue with it but I do not use gaskets either, just RTV. Taking them off to change fluid is a nightmare. I have to use a 2lb hammer to rack on the cover to get it to budge loose. I have even lifted the rig off the ground using the lip of the cover with no bolts on it, just RTV. So my thoughts to you are if you must use a gasket Torque to OEM specks whatever that may be. I would suggest not buying those expensive gaskets and going with RTV only. Its all in how you put it on. I put a bead on each nice and clean surface then spread it flat with my finger and let the stuff sit for about 5-10 minutes. Then I put them together and bolt it up tight, never had a leak yet. Sorry for the long winded description.

Back