• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for beginner/moderate trails nearest Norwalk

VanDerKen

NAXJA Forum User
Hello XJer's.
I'm in need of some trail information. I'm trying to find somewhere close to Norwalk (I know, close is a generic statement) to take a friend that has a freshly built Samurai.:arrowl: He says that he would like to play on the bunny hills first. I've generally been a follower on more aggressive trails in the desert and Big Bear so I can't really consider them "local".
Any advise would be appreciated.
Trail names that I can look up and/or trail numbers would also be a plus.

P.s. Don't hate me for the association. :anon:

How is the Samurai built?

The closest place that I can think of would be Cleghorn Road off I-15.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the latest news on Cleghorn is that "most" of the little side trails have been bulldozed already and it is now just a fire road. The Sami has had an axle flip, some size of lift kit, 32 or 33's, a transfer case gear swap, it has a 5 speed and a novice trail driver.

The alternative playground would be Azusa canyon but that really isn't much of a trail area.

:compwork: Thanks for the input though.

Not all of the bypasses have been closed on Cleghorn.

True, I would imagine that the Cleghorn side trails are not all closed but, by personal experience some are just a little easier than others and for a rookie some may just not be do able.
Hungry Valley. Never been there so I'll have to take a look online and see what it looks like. Thanks for the info.
Keep it coming.
:paperwork

Pilot Rock. Same thing, will have to do some extra online research.

Azusa Canyon is open now. Really nothing much to do there but drive around on dirt and very small hills. Does have a river cross. Nearest place from norwalk. People died rolling over cleghorn. Easy but not a beginner trail. Make a mistake your rolling 25 yards down a hill.

No offence to either of you, but I did cleg stock in a wj, with pretty much no wheeling experience, I think that cleg is a perfect noob run.

X2 on cleg

cleg was my 2nd wheeling trip, with Hungry Valley being my first. all in my stock XJ. should be no problem even for a noob. i even did some mild V-notch stuff without getting body damage. heck in my group there was a stock full size chevy that made it fine.

i mean dude a sami on 32 or 33s is like a xj on 35s or bigger. He should have ZERO problems at cleg. But there is some cool stuff for a total noob in hungry valley, they have a 4x4 trials area, with some cement steps, flexing steps, rock garden, and some cool hill climbs, my buddy just got a zj, so we will probably be going soon. I will hit you up when we go.

peace
ted

Sounds like Hungry Valley will have to be scheduled into sometime this month.
Did the Cleghorn trip myself about a month or two ago and spent most of my quality time off the beaten path. Running 31's and a 3 inch lift, I did a little (lot) of wheel well surgery on a couple of places. A little tweak-tweak here and tweak-tweak there with the tires and I had my own air ducts at my door jams.
Never been to Hungry Valley myself so that just gives me extra incentive.
I would have to agree with you Yotawrench but, the poor guy had a near roll over at Main Divide Road in Santa Ana in that same Sami so I think that he may be looking for some "baby" steps to the rock garden, if you know what I mean.

Yup, Mr Grimm is correct.
Unfortunately I was only able to take the full E-ticket ride at Cleghorn my one time and I honestly have to say that I wish that I had ran through that place at least a dozen times. That place is/was VERY cool beans!

ALso, the sammi is way shorter in terms of wheel base so that cant be fun when going up steep stuff. Isnt there some stuff over near the AV? i know that isnt close but i hear its near the vasquez rocks park. Thats like 45 miles from LA.

I personally could not tell you what it may or may not be like to ride up a steep grade in a Sami. I've spent quality time in a heavily built Wrangler and my own light build XJ so I would imagine that he may end up picking trails that he sees. So a little closer may be better.
Thanks for the input though.

Back