• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission question

jeepchkee

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is probably in the search somewhere, just don't have the time to look for it now. Sorry.

anyway. I have an 88 jeep cherokee 5 speed 4.0 in-line six 4x4 that is in need of a transmission. I have access to an 86 xj, 5 speed, V6 4x4 or and 87 comanche 5 speed 4 cylinder 4x4.

Wondering if either of these transmissions would fit my 88. My guess and understanding is that they won't fit, but either of them is cheap and easily available. I beleive that I would need a 87-90 5 speed xj or comanche 4.0 in-line six 4x4 tranny.

thanks for the info.

I have an 88 jeep cherokee 5 speed 4.0 in-line six 4x4 that is in need of a transmission. I have access to an 86 xj, 5 speed, V6 4x4 or and 87 comanche 5 speed 4 cylinder 4x4.

Wondering if either of these transmissions would fit my 88. My guess and understanding is that they won't fit, but either of them is cheap and easily available. I beleive that I would need a 87-90 5 speed xj or comanche 4.0 in-line six 4x4 tranny.

thanks for the info.

your beliefs are correct

Your current 5 speed in the 88 is a BA 10/5 Peugeot, and marginal for the 4.0 based on their rate of failures.

The 86 would be a Borg Warner T-5.

The 87 is likely the AX5 by Aisin.

Check on Novak 4x4 or Advance Adapters for info on using them with your 88 4.0 engine.

Good luck.

Checked on Advance Adapters, nothing to use either of those with the 4.0 engine.

87 through 3-9-89 4.0 XJs will have the Peugeot, for build dates after 3-9-89 should be the AX15s, per the parts catalog.

Good luck.

Back