• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Goferit Offroad Flip Inserts Question

LBC970

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up the tie rod flip inserts from them, and am looking at installing tomorrow. My question before I tear everything apart and drill, has anyone done this with the stock 15" wheels? I am a little worried about clearance issues. Would flipping the tie rod ends to the top of the knuckle put them into the inside of the wheel? I measured, and it seems like the 1.5 inches on the top would barely fit. Just wondering if anyone else has done this on theirs with stocker wheels.

P6120005

Thanks!

While you're talking about it... Does anyone make these for the Chevy 1-ton tres? I used a taper on mine and over time the nut backed off some and the hole wallowed out. I figured I'd just stick some of these in there.

While you're talking about it... Does anyone make these for the Chevy 1-ton tres? I used a taper on mine and over time the nut backed off some and the hole wallowed out. I figured I'd just stick some of these in there.

Dunno. Donate a 1-ton steering knuckle and I will turn some out for ya!

OP- I doubt they will fit. You have to account for the TRE rolling foward some...I ran into this issue running 1 ton TRE's OTK on WJ's.

lowrange2- yes, Ballistic makes tapered inserts for 1 ton TRE's. They need a 1" OD hole drilled if I remember correctly.

Hmmm, I run 1-ton TREs OTK on WJ knuckles with no problem. I wonder why you were having trouble. What backspacing did you have on your wheels? The only problem I may have with the Inserts is the top of my tie rod end comes really close to the stud on the bottom of my drag link end.

OP- I doubt they will fit. You have to account for the TRE rolling foward some...I ran into this issue running 1 ton TRE's OTK on WJ's.

lowrange2- yes, Ballistic makes tapered inserts for 1 ton TRE's. They need a 1" OD hole drilled if I remember correctly.

Thats what I was afraid of. I will probably hold off until I find either new wheels or a good deal on spacers.

Thanks

15" steelies, 4.5" BS. They would rub if the TRE rolled at all. For now I reamed the knuckle a little more so the TRE sat down and couldn't roll. Eventually I'll get different wheels and install some of those inserts and do it right.

15" steelies, 4.5" BS. They would rub if the TRE rolled at all. For now I reamed the knuckle a little more so the TRE sat down and couldn't roll. Eventually I'll get different wheels and install some of those inserts and do it right.

Wouldn't that put more stress on the knuckle or TRE under flex?

With the WJ knuckles the tie rod runs flat from knuckle to knuckle so it doesn't need to move with the suspension like the stock inverted-y steering.

Ahh, I'm still running stock steering. Looking into swapping in ZJ stuff though...

Ahh, I'm still running stock steering. Looking into swapping in ZJ stuff though...

just the tie rod or the whole set up? the only difference is the tie rod.

Isn't the pitman arm also longer? Something like 1" or 2" lower than the XJ arm?

i dont think so. i think thats fullsize waggy's and cherokees

zj pitman arm is an inch or so lower, yes

Check with Tereflex. They have two sizes that both utilize a 1" hole in the steering arm.

you are correct about ballistic making them

The 1 ton TREs have a slightly larger shaft so you can simply ream the knuckles from the top, you don't need an insert.

Back