• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daily driver shocks for 1999?

cmb2008

NAXJA Forum User
Gentlemen; I am in need of shocks for the 99. I am thinking either Bilstiens or much cheaper Monroe sensatracs.

It will be used on a lot of dirt roads, some graded, some not.

I have always used Monroe on my 95 gmc pickup and they worked fine and after 3 years the rust usually does them in.

Have never run a Bilstien, but have heard/read nothing but good about them.

I changed mine on my 1999 to the Bilsteins and have no regrets, not a soft ride but in the jeeps you really feel the bumps anyway. Lots of control with them.

If you are doing them yourself, the fronts are easy, but the back ones the bolts will probably be rusted, I don't recall everything but they can be a real pain in the ass, and can take a good long time.

Try a set of Bilstein 5100s. I have used Bilsteins on many vehicles through the years and they have proven to be very durable.
The 5100s ride will be firmer than stock.
The more expensive 5150 series have a plusher ride.

For about the same price as the bilsteins, you could also get Old Man Emu shocks. I have the OME shocks and HD springs on my 01. Gives a firm and controlled ride esp on rough roads. I spend a fair amount of time on craptastic logging roads and wouldn't want any other suspension under my Jeep.

Talk to Dirk at DPG http://dpgoff-road.com/ . He is a great guy and will help you pick the right shock as well as give a great deal.

Matt

Before switching to Bilsteins, I ran OME shocks, front and rear, for over 70,000 miles before they started to fade.
The rear 5100s are very similar to the OMEs.
The front 5150s have a more compliant ride, than the OMEs, but never bottom out (that is also the result of properly sized bump stops).

Either brand is a good choice.

What is the cost/benefit of Bilsteins/OME vs. Monroe shocks on a 3 year life cycle, especially for your type of wheeling?

Sears gas shocks, Monroe, on sale, get them to install them, lifetime warranty for parts and labor when they do the install. I went through 12 complete replacements on my 82 S10 and 680,000+ miles. I'm on my third set for my 98XJ.

Rich; Good idea, you got your moneys worth!

The only trouble is Sears is a 2plus hour drive one way for me.

ROAD TRIP!

Seriously, can you schedule a couple of events in that city at the same time? Makes a road trip worth it.

Good luck.

I find it hard to believe anyone lives more than 1 hour from a Sears in the north east.

Well believe it. If I cruise right along taking the shortest route possible I might make it under 2 hours. providing no road construction.

I use Monroe Sensatracs for my daily driver with a 3 inch budget boost. I have had them on for about a year and they ride great. I used PN 37120 in the front and PN 37029 in the rear. I got them for about $30 each plus shipping.

Well believe it. If I cruise right along taking the shortest route possible I might make it under 2 hours. providing no road construction.

I believe it. Here in CT everything is pretty close, but I've been places in the Northeast where it took a half hour just to see another gas station.

I believe it. Here in CT everything is pretty close, but I've been places in the Northeast where it took a half hour just to see another gas station.

Whiners--168 miles, no services, between Tonopah, NV and Ely, NV.

Back