• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner time!

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 89 xj ltd with a factory sunroof, and over the weekend while in the woods camping something ate my headliner. It was just saggy before but something tore it open and was eating the backing so its done. I cannot find anything with a sunroof at the wreckers. I think I'll have to use my old one as a template and get a used one and cut the sunroof hole. Will the headliner out of a newer jeep fit? 97+? Thanks1

depending on how much backing is gone, i would take it down and get some fiberglass cloth. cover the front and back of the damaged backing, then coat with resin. when dry, recoat with new headliner material.

even good backings from the junkyard, i still tear off the old stuff and redo, and use mat for where i screw it up taking it out.

the headliner from a new jeep should work though, if you dont want to reuse old

I read somewhere that it would, no personal experience with trying it.

One of my Jeep Do projects is to pull my backing, seal it, then glue outdoor carpeting to it.

Someone else should post up.

Good luck.

Not 100% sure, but I have the headliner from my 98 sitting in the garage if you need measurements or pics.

I have a newer style headliner in my '92, no alterations needed. Although, I had to cut it out to fit the OHC. You should be able to use your original to trace the sunroof hole. Keep in mind, though, that the newest of these is pushing ten years old, so if you find a cherry piece, be real careful, they're getting brittle. One word of advice-if you find a donor with the speakers built in, remove them, and the light first, as there's a plastic bracket above them, that spans the width of the car body, basically to help support weight of the speakers. It's almost impossible to get the plastic mount out if it's still attached to the headliner. And, if you use the speakers, make sure you check the phasing, as the later speaker wire clips are reversed compared to the earlier ones.

Back