• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shocks for RE 3.5" - Bilstein 5100s?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

Did searching all over this forum and the web and my head is now spinning... I guess some advice would be great.

My RE6025 is on order (well, backorder thanks to a rear leaf spring assembly shortage) so I have a moment to put some consideration into my shock purchase. I've heard overwhelmingly positive reviews of Bilstein's 5100 series, so I think that's what I'll be going with in this case.

Question is, what model number should I get? There are seemingly a bazillion options for their shocks that fall into the 26x16 (front) and 24x15 (rear) range, and I think that the different models are for different valving and different ends (the latter of which is pretty straight-forward)... Am I right, or am I over-thinking this?

If the different part numbers are due to different valving, does anyone have any recommendations on which models would best match the spring rates of the RE6025 3.5" kit? If Bilstein isn't even the best way to go, please feel free to put in your $0.02. I avoided the RE MonoTubes due to mixed emotions about them, but I'm not even sure my reservations are warranted.

Thanks in advance!

Campbell

I think I found the info I was seeking on the 5100s:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/bilstein-jeep-cherokee-4-shock-specs-825795/

Now to decide if I want to limit front articulation with bump stops...

Fixed it for you. Compress a shock too far, you will break it. Extend a shock too far, you will break it. You would want to limit strap and bump stomp according to your setup if you wanted to reach max flex with out shock disaster. However I doubt short arms will come close to the amount of flex needed for all that.

I once saw a thread on here where a couple guys were comparing bilstein valving. Something like 90/10...? :dunno:

Back