• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water in floorboard

xj_chef

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock 93 xj. It's been raining all day and I went out to get in.
The pass side floor board had an inch of water in it.
I just got a new windshield installed last week.
What are other problem spots for water?

Did you have water in the passenger's side floor board anytime before this? If not, head back to the glass shop.

Last edited:
Its not coolant. I do have factory roof rack

Ok, check those holes they may need sealing.

Check out the link I edited in my earlier post.

Good luck.

ok now i got it torn apart, officially found the problem.
not the windshield, not the cowl, not the roof rack.
it is the old seal where the blower box meets the firewall.
now how to fix it?
any suggestions?
thanks

I did that same repair about 6 years ago, on my old '93. Just went nuts with silicone. The sound deadening material under the passenger side carpet was wrapped in plasitc and wouldn't dry out. I cut the bag open to make sure it dried before calling the job done. No problems since, although the new owners (my parents), have replaced the motor in the last 12 months.

This thread just reminded me to have them check and see if it's still sealing well. Thanks!

Last edited:
While you've got the silicone out, shmear the pinch seam of the cowl chamber right above the blower motor. Two of our four leaked there. It lets water track down the firewall, then wick in through the foam around the blower. I'm looking for a picture I posted a few months ago, but I can't find it in the black hole on my desk that looks like a computer!

do a search for this - I posted pics about six months ago I guess. I had the same leak and siliconed this piss out of the dry rotted seal b/n the blower motor and the firewall - not a drop since

I found it. Hope it helps!

CowlLeakArea.jpg

As water enters the cowl vent, on the driver's side, it runs over to the passenger side, under the wiper motor. Apparently there's a drain in the cowl chamber, to let the water out, but it will clog over time. Our '95 was getting a lot of water in the pass. side floor, and a previous owner made a mess with windshield sealant, thinking that leaky glass was the problem. I removed almost all the dash, and found rust streaks coming down from the foam gasket around the blower flange. I got a hose, and directed water into the cowl vent. As soon as water entered the cowl, it started weeping through the seam that I have circled. It then tracked down the firewall, and wicked in through the foam gasket, which at the time was only eight years old, and it acted like a sponge. Later on, my '92 (the one pictured) started doing the same thing. Knock on wood, but it's been seven years for the '95, and two years for the '92, and both have been dry ever since. Try the hose in the cowl trick, and see if you're having the same problem. And, give ehall's trick a try. These should work! Let us know.

Also, the factory used a lot of adhesive/sealant in the cowl area. Look around for any that is dry and cracked. Chip out any loose stuff, and replace it with silicone caulk.

Last edited:
Back