• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

school me on torque converters

gte636p

NAXJA Forum User
or really crude ways of bench testing one.

I took delivery of a cherokee last weekend that had some issues with it. After listening to things for a couple of days I'm fairly certain the problem lies in the flexplate / torque convertor area. I've got the transmission, torque convertor, and flexplat out and sitting in front of me.

The flexplate shows no signs of breakage. There are no cracks that I can see anywhere.

The torque convertor is leaking fluid when placed upside down (when the flexplate bolts are downward). I can shake it and hear something moving inside. The splines for the input can mover a little bit ( a hair more than 1/4") and when it was first taken out I could spin the splines for a little while and they would lock up a little bit. Spinning the whole convertor while in the car gave me a brushing / scraping sound inside the bellhousing.

The transmission has ~70k since a rebuild from what I've been told. It is not leaking fluid and looks clean everywhere, especially in the bellhousing.

I'm hoping the torque convertor is at fault but would like to know if there's a definitive way to tell if it is indeed bad. Anyone want to school me on these?

In the last month I have seen two XJs that were making noise. The source of the noise in both cases was a starter where the bendix wasn't retracting all the way.

Back