• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advise needed on neighborhood wrecker

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
The crazy old drunk lady on my block finally did her jeep in... apparently she hit and ran someone and in the processs managed to sheer the rear right leaf just behind the front bushing. The axle shifted back approx 5-6 inches and the rear driveshaft fell out of the transfer case.
Its an auto 4.0 HO with a 242 J transfer case, D35, and a non disco d30 up front
Age approx 93?
I have an opportunity to get it off of her for next to nothing, but I have a couple of questions.

Im guessing that I will need to replace the seal on the output? Can I do that with out much hassle. The splines on both the yoke and the tail appear to be undamaged. Will I be able to "simply" slide the driveshaft back in?
Any other things I might want to check out?

not looking to invest much money into this, just thought it might be a good chance to get a cheap beater,
Oh and it appears to have a rough country lift of some vintage.

Last edited:
Is the Jeep a '93, or is your wonderful neighbor 93, or was she born in (18)93? Just like in Arizona, we need the FACTS!

Even if it takes a few bucks to fix, next to nothing is good. Although, if she drives like this (that's why she needed a Jeep, nothing else would hold up), how well was it maintained?

If you do get it, you'll have to hide it. She'll go on a bender, and you just know she'll have an extra key...

ha ha! she is a maniac. You can barely see the top of her head when she drives the thing. a friend of mine lives in the apartment below her. Replaced 5 tires for her this summer! I see the jeep parked across town at the dive bar everyday for a good four to five hours...
good to know about the seal and such. I figure the leaf and such shouldnt cost me mcuh to replace. looks like its dropping some oil too, and the linkage on the transfer case is not connected. like I said though, cheap as hell.

The crazy old drunk lady on my block finally did her jeep in... apparently she hit and ran someone and in the processs managed to sheer the rear right leaf just behind the front bushing. The axle shifted back approx 5-6 inches and the rear driveshaft fell out of the transfer case.
Its an auto 4.0 HO with a 242 J transfer case, D35, and a non disco d30 up front
Age approx 93?
I have an opportunity to get it off of her for next to nothing, but I have a couple of questions.

Im guessing that I will need to replace the seal on the output? Can I do that with out much hassle. The splines on both the yoke and the tail appear to be undamaged. Will I be able to "simply" slide the driveshaft back in?
Any other things I might want to check out?

not looking to invest much money into this, just thought it might be a good chance to get a cheap beater,
Oh and it appears to have a rough country lift of some vintage.
As long as the seal area on the slip yoke isn't all boogered up from meeting the asphalt and underside of the vehicle, yeah, it should just slide back in. Replacing the seal isn't bad, all you need is a seal puller, a dead blow or mallet, and a seal driver (I have used a second transfer case tailcone as a seal driver before, worked great iirc.)

Just go ahead and get it before someone fixes it enough for her to put it back on the road!

Sounds like the price is right, and it shouldn't take much to get it drivable. Might find other issues, but you can part it out or beat it to death.

Good luck.

lol old women drivers scare me. i once was sitting for a sec at a red light to turn left while the 2 lanes going straight was green i watch as this old lady stops at the green light next to me has a car honking at her behind her, my light turns green so she goes and cuts me off. i was just like wtf??? why on earth is she driving still and then couldnt help but laugh to myself for how lost she was

My pet peeve is TEENAGERS regardless of their sex, on cell phones talking or texting, or turning completely around to talk to people in the back seat--WHILE DRIVING!

We this old lady is just plain and simple drunk. Some mornings I see the jeep parked four feet from the curb. Apparently when she busted it up... my lady was driving past when the flatbed was loading it. old lady jumped in the flatbed and tried to drive the towtruck!

My pet peeve is TEENAGERS regardless of their sex, on cell phones talking or texting, or turning completely around to talk to people in the back seat--WHILE DRIVING!

Happy to say I never did any of these activities. I was driving too quickly to concentrate on anything else but driving. :)

Back