• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spectre Filter Problem

MuckSavage

NAXJA Forum User
I just want to give everyone a heads up that my be running a Spectre flat panel air filter....

Long story short. The Spectre Filter has an emblem crimped onto one of the pleats on the filter. Last night, while my wife was driving the XJ, It unattached itself from the filter & lodged itself in the throttle body, causing a wide-open-throttle situation. She got the XJ to the side of the road & the ignition shut off, but not before she made herself a pair of freckle faced underwear!

If you have a Spectre Filter, remove the emblem!

I sent an email to Spectre. We'll see how the respond!

isnt the emblem usually on the outside of the filter? like the side away from the throttle body?

I recieved this response......

Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of this situation. We are very sorry that you had this experience with one of our products. We take matters like this very seriously and would like to have the opportunity to inspect the filter and badge to investigate the root cause of this issue. We would like to send you a new filter that has the badge removed by our R&D department. Along with the new filter we can send a pre-paid UPS call tag for you to send the old filter and badge back to us at no additional expense to you. Please send us your mailing address that you would like the new filter and call tag sent to and we will move forward. If you have any other questions or comments then please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call at (909)-673-9800 ext 336

Thanks
George

George Luna ~ Spectre Performance
Engineering Support

TAKE PIC's before you send it off..Get let say 20 people to watch you put said product in box on video plus pic's..Cover your a$$..This could have killed your wife or somebody else or both..
Glad everything turned out okay

I'm not looking for anything out of it. Just a safe product for the next guy.......

thanks for lookin out and being a stand up guy. and not a tool like the rest of the country and instantly turning out to sue someone. maybe after a few months ill buy one. give them time to fix it :roll:

He need to take pic's an stuff for the next guy who isn't as lucky as his wife was..This is where i say cover your a$$..If they do have a problem an don't recall, he can help somebody who lost everything..

Glad your wife is Ok, no one hurt, no property damaged.

You did the right thing in contacting the manufacturer.

I recieved this response......

Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of this situation. We are very sorry that you had this experience with one of our products. We take matters like this very seriously and would like to have the opportunity to inspect the filter and badge to investigate the root cause of this issue. We would like to send you a new filter that has the badge removed by our R&D department. Along with the new filter we can send a pre-paid UPS call tag for you to send the old filter and badge back to us at no additional expense to you. Please send us your mailing address that you would like the new filter and call tag sent to and we will move forward. If you have any other questions or comments then please feel free to email me at [email protected] or call at (909)-673-9800 ext 336

Thanks
George

George Luna ~ Spectre Performance
Engineering Support
I think you need to hold out for free filters for all of your jeeping buddies! :D

the problem with being a 'stand up guy', is if they dont get that firm 'WTF ARE YOU DOING' a lawsuit brings, they may chaulk it up to that 1 in a million coincidence, and do exactly NOTHING about it.

what the XXXX kinda air filter has an emblem on it.... stupid stupid stupid!

I'll go pack to an earlier post. Isn't the emblem supposed to go on the dirty air side (facing up in the air box)? I have a Spectre cone filter and it too has an emblem, but I cannot install inside-out! Guess mine's idiot-proof.

In theory, shouldn't you report this to the NTSB?

Im pretty sure i had this same problem shortly after putting the same said filter in my 00 cherokee was pullin into my neighborhood when it happend nothing worse than drivin on your own street standing on the brakes. Once i got my jeep off the problem went away and i didnt have anything in my TB so maybe i need to tear mine down..

Get it back on Monday so ill let ya know if i find the emblem somewhere.

Back