• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starting problem and vacuum leak

Cherubi21

NAXJA Forum User
Hi ive got a 2001 xj with the 4.0 auto and 133500 miles on it and a couple thousand miles ago the engine light came on. it came on during the winter here in minnesota at about 10-20 degrees F and it was running rough after a cold start. so i shut it down and restarted it. it ran smooth then but the engine light was still on. at the time i didnt have a code reader but what i initially did was reset the ecu. the light went away for about a month, but came back on. this time when it came back on it was running rough and i could smell gas fumes near the back of the jeep. i also noticed that it will come on when the tank is full or close to it. i borrowed a code reader and got the code. i forgot the number but i know that the code said that there is a major vacuum leak. so what i now plan on doing is dropping the gas tank and check the pump and regulator and all the lines for problems. i also have the common starting problem where you have to turn the engine over 2-3 times before it starts. idk if it relates to the vacuum leak because it did this before the light ever came on. im assuming that it is the fuel pressure regulator. im posting because id like to know what other peoples thought are and id like some professional opinions. i also dont want to spend money where it isnt needed because im on a pretty tight budget being a 17 year old

IF the code was reporting an EVAP system problem, then you are going to be interested in the tank, the lines from the EVAP canister to the tank, possibly the vacuum line from the EVAP canister to the EVAP purge solenoid, or the line from the purge solenoid to the manifold.

Running rich sounds more like an o2 sensor, an exhaust leak upstream of the CAT (do you have the two mini-CATs on the exhaust manifold?), possibly the MAP, or an intake manifold leak--what is your idle speed, after 20 minutes of operation, in DRIVE?

Back