• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end thumping noise

Builderxyz

NAXJA Forum User
Engaged the 4 wd earlier today and right side front started making a thumping noise. no issues in 2 wd. 92 briarwood 242 T/C. any ideas of what it may be..thanks

a little more info wouldnt hurt. were you driving? forward or backwards? sitting still turning the wheel? turningwhile driving? which way? how fast? on accelleration or decelleration? maintaining speed? things like this can help us help you a little quicker.

I was going forward at a slow speed when i tried to go a bit faster it just thumped more often. best way i can explain it feels out of round.wheels were straight.as long as it was rolling it continied to make the noise.no issues as i mentioned earlier in 2wd.

John that entered my mind anything else you can think of i should check? unit bearing maybe? like i said it's only in 4wd that it does it and it's just the one side.like i mentioned when the wheel turns it feels like it's out of round. my best explanation lol.

John that entered my mind anything else you can think of i should check? unit bearing maybe? like i said it's only in 4wd that it does it and it's just the one side.like i mentioned when the wheel turns it feels like it's out of round. my best explanation lol.
Possibly the unit bearing but if they go bad they generally make lots of noise under any circumstances. Jack up that end of the axle until the wheel just comes off the ground and shake the wheel and tire from top and bottom. If there is no play then the unit bearing is probably O.K. It could possibly be something in the control arm bushings that only shows up when the axle torques. Check the control arm bushings and see that the bolts are all tight. Also check the upper control arm body side attachment points, they are known to tear out under high stress conditions.

Back