• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 4.0 Hesitates, RPM spikes

ckale1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I have a 98 4.0 with the following codes... It takes two or three times to crank, runs very rough at start up, RPM spikes and bucks while driving. Plugs, wires dist cap and rotor have been replaced along with a map sensor.

p0505
p0123
p0320
p0121

From what I can find, two of the codes are for TPS and CPS. The other two codes seem to be miscommunication between parts.
My question is, where should I start. I dont want to just trow things at it a hope it works. Could CPS be causing the other sensors to malfunction?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Three of the codes are pointing to the throttle body area--TPS, IAC, and MAP--and one to a possible crank sensor issue.

I would check your wiring harness and connectors, clean the contacts and apply dielectric grease.

Also, test the TPS to see if it is within specs, same for the MAP, and clean the throttle body and IAC port, and the IAC pintle.

See what that gets you, and post up your test numbers.

Last edited:
Back