• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Code 34

Reds82

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys screwed up and had a small fire under my jeep on the driver's side under the hood and Im now getting a code 34. It starts but wont hold idle have to tap the gas then after about a minute it idles fine around 1k rpm also when I hit around 4.5k rpm its like a rev limiter. Don't know where to get started any check this check that would be great.

A**uming 91-95 OBDI--you really need to share the BASICS, year, engine, trans, etc.--a code 34 is an open or short in the a/c clutch circuit.

sorry was half asleep when posting it is a 94 auto trans 4.0l anything else you need just ask

Ok. I would check the wiring to the a/c clutch, and look for damage to any other wiring around the front of the engine, like possibly the CTS sensor.

ummm actually, 33 is the A/C clutch

34 is Speed Control solenoid circuits. An open or shorted condition detected in the speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits.

Yeah, grabbed that verbatim off 5-90's OBDI codes:

34 (XJ/MJ Only) Speed Control Solenoid Circuits An "open" or "short" condition detected in the Air Conditioning Clutch Relay control circuit.

Here is a different source: http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/dtc.html

34* An open or shorted condition detected in the speed control vacuum or vent solenoid circuits.
or
Speed control switch input below the minimum acceptable voltage.
or
Speed control switch input above the maximum acceptable voltage.

I think its talking about the EGR system.

Back