• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't get 2wd: 2Low Install

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I'm honestly stumped on this project. I just got done sealing the case, adding fluid, and going on a test run with the new 2Low. The one big problem I immediately noticed was not being able to get it into regular two wheel drive. I can get 2Low sometimes, but it's definitely picky.

I loosened the trunnion nut, and adjusted the linkage best I could. I don't think that's the problem. It also takes a lot of force to get it into 4low and 2low, and barely any to go from what should be 2hi to 4hi.

I'm thinking something must not have been installed correctly? Before I rip the case out, and crack it again, does anyone have suggestions?

The only thing I can think of besides the linkage, is maybe I installed the synchro/mode sleeve backwards. I remember installing the long side to the front, which I believe is correct.

What am I missing?

It took me like 5 tries before I was happy with how my linkage was adjusted.

I'm positive it's not linkage related. I took off both drive lines, and shifted the t-case manually, and still had the same problem. I went through all five positions, and could never get the front yoke to spin freely. Not to mention it shifts very rough, which leads me to believe something inside is binding.

With some searching I came up with these threads, which outline the exact problem I'm having.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1000317
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=924318

I'm going to take the case out tomorrow, and see if I can find the problem. My guess is something didn't get seated properly.

check the shift forks. easy to install backwards and wont let it shift properly

PM IllianaXJ he has done it sucessfully.

It's amazing how fast you can tear something apart the second time around. :D

I pulled the t-case today, and began to tear it apart. Even on the bench I was able to get all 5 positions, but the yokes always remained locked.

When I took the rear tail cone off, it seemed like it was jammed. Once I got it off the front yoke became free. I'm thinking the shift rail wasn't centered, and bound up. I remember when I did my SYE it mentioned installing everything in the 4LO position. When I put this together I had it in the 2HI position, so I'm guessing that was my problem. Everything else looked fine.

Here's some pics if anyone can spot a problem before it goes back together.

Shift fork orientation.
P1050260.jpg

Synchro sleeve orientation (long side to the front).
P1050262.jpg

Hopefully this thread can be a reference tool for the next person with this problem.

After bolting the case back together and bench testing the shift points I noticed I was still having the same issue (no 2wd). So I did some trouble shooting, and found that the shift rail that extends into the back of the tail cone was binding when it needed to go forward for 2wd (since it uses the mode spring to push it back). I loosened the tail cone, and clocked it a hair to give the shift rail some clearance on the housing. Luckily there was enough slop in the bolt holes that i didn't need to modify anything.

So I got everything put back together, and got the t-case installed in the Jeep and everything seems to be working perfectly.

Back