• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diff fluid spill in the interior!!!!

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, not very smart, but oh well, it already happened. Well, now my jeep smells like crap! have any of you ever had this issue? I searched but did not get anything, basically i want to know how to remove smell, i have already tried febreeze and cleaning spill with soap and water, no luck though.

When hauling home my used set of 31's w/wheels one of them dumped right on top of a full new bottle of gear lube and it dumped the whole thing out on the back carpet.

That was a year ago and after hours of driving with the windows down I can barely smell it anymore. I vaguely remember trying to clean it with various cleaning products and none of them even put a dent in the stink.

try the purple power floor cleaner, did a good job in the shop and on the driveway. just not sure if its ok for carpet? :dunno:

When hauling home my used set of 31's w/wheels one of them dumped right on top of a full new bottle of gear lube and it dumped the whole thing out on the back carpet.

That was a year ago and after hours of driving with the windows down I can barely smell it anymore. I vaguely remember trying to clean it with various cleaning products and none of them even put a dent in the stink.

Oh its the worst, i can smell it from outside of the jeep, my wife refuses to ride in it now.LoL

yeahh, this happened to the previous owner in my jeep. 12 years later you can still smell it. That jeep now sits in the woods and mice f#ck and piss in it.. and you can still smell the diff lube. After a long trip I would swear you could taste it in your boogers..

First & foremost, you should know that the odor will remain in the Jeep as long as the source of the stink is still in the Jeep. So rent a carpet extractor & extract the stain. Or as someone said, take the carpet out & pressure wash it with a good detergent.

If you choose not to remove the carpet, put baking soda right on the stain. Let it sit there. If it's still wet, use corn starch to absorb it first. Also there are products at Home Depot to remove odors from a room. You can buy a "bad-air-sponge", let it sit in the XJ with the windows rolled up for a few days if you can afford to not use the Jeep.
I worked in the cleaning industry for many years. I can prolly find a way. I had used tranny fluid spilled in my XJ over a long trip. I learned a lot, LOL.

I had my spare tire and an NP231 tag-team a 1 quart bottle in the cargo area last fall... I got used to the smell and it kept the rust on my floorboards from progressing quite as quickly. Also had brake fluid, shock absorber emulsion, gas, coolant, tranny fluid, and pretty much every other vehicle fluid ever soaked into that carpet from too many junkyard runs. It was a lost cause so I trashed it when I removed it.

ive had used gear oil spill in my cargo area and more used gear oil in the same spot from trail axle shaft swappin(freakin d35) and i scrubbed the crap out of it with dry rags and usualy drove with windows down. it only smelled like poo for a couple days then pretty much went away

Back