• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? on gear oil

jackate

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 4.0 166,000 miles and was having trouble the other day getting it to come out of (full time) AWD back into 2 wheel drive. I put it in reverse and went through all the gears but it was staying in full time.

It finally came out.

I was wondering how to service the 4 wheel drive, I would like to top off all the gear oil, not sure of how many places there are to add it or where to add it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, you have a NP242. Locate the two plugs on the t-case near the rear pinion yoke. Top is to fill, bottom is to drain--ALWAYS REMOVE THE TOP PLUG FIRST!!

Those plugs like to seize in place, if you remove the drain plug first and can't get the top fill plug out you are dead in the water.

Dex III/VI.

thats a good point joe. i hadnt thought about that. ive never had the misfortune of being in that situation, but i know id be pretty pissed if i was. ill keep that in mind when i go do the new stuff with the new jeep.

also that wouldnt be gear oil its atf.

Back