• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

decipher axle codes

If you want the best results when asking questions, always provide your BASICS--year, engine, etc., what your problem or objective is.

And I don't believe there are any axle codes on the doors of an XJ.

Most axles have a tag attached to one or two of the cover bolts.

Good luck.

I want to find an axle with 4.10 gears and the bigger ujoints. There is a tag on the door or door jamb of most vehicles that has basic vehicle info such as tire inflation, GVRW, stock tires size, etc. Also it says axle with a two digit code. Rather than crawling under the vehicle I can open the door and look at the code. It it tells me 4.10 gears, then I'll crawl under and double check.

You won't find 4.10s unless it is a 4 cylinder, and I don't have any other info I can offer than that.

Hopefully, someone else will be able to give you more assistance.

Good luck.

I think you'll need to crawl. There should be a tag on the cover like mine below. The "55" says it's a 3.55. The 605389-6 is the bill of materials. You can look up some more info on the axle using this # at www2.dana.com

IMG_0039.jpg

Would someone open the drivers door and confirm there is a white sticker there?

I know it's on the axle, but it's also on the drivers door or door pillar.

Being as Joe Peters and myself have worked in the service departments of Jeep dealerships, and we've never seen a door sticker giving an axle ratio, I say you need to go under the Jeeps and read the tags as posted earlier. Only bother looking under 4 cylinder models, as Joe stated, if that helps.

also im not sure when they stopped using the 4 cyl 87-88??but long time before they started using the bigger u joints 96-97

Would someone open the drivers door and confirm there is a white sticker there?

I know it's on the axle, but it's also on the drivers door or door pillar.
You're very insistently looking for something that (to the best of my knowledge) never existed. Ford did this, some other makes as well but I've never seen it on a Jeep.

also im not sure when they stopped using the 4 cyl 87-88??but long time before they started using the bigger u joints 96-97
Nope. They made 4cyls all the way up till 99 AFAIK. I don't see any info in the 00 or 01 parts catalogs for the 4cyl engine however so I'm reasonably certain they were killed after 99.

So there's not a tag like this on XJs? I think all vehicles had them.

l_2ca6e465fdb2482693da78d6a41883ac.jpg
Nope. Like I said, only seen that on Fords.

Besides, that isn't very reliable - door could have been replaced using one from a scrapyard, and label not moved, or someone could have replaced the axles, or even had the axles regeared and for some reason left the original tags on. The ONLY way to be sure you are getting what you want is to pop the cover and count teeth or look at the stampings on the ring gear. You can generally get away with reading the tag on the diff however.

Saudade - if you look real closely, you can see a 3 right next to the bolt head. The actual marking is "3 55".

Also, it's not just 4cyls you are looking for - you are looking for a 4cyl with the 5 speed trans iirc. A 4cyl with the 4-speed will only have 3.55s in it, at least the RENIX years. And there was some variation on this, you'll sometimes see deeper or shallower gearing than factory spec on some vehicles depending on how the dealership ordered them.

Some of them in the older XJs used a math problem to solve it.

I was in the junk yard the other day and found one ('85 or '86 probably) that didn't specifically list the gear ratio, but rather marked it as following: 41-11

Now if you divide 41 by 11, you get 3.7272727, so the gear ratio is a 3.73
If you find a 41-10 divide that one out and you get a 4.10

I have a spare axle tag in my shop that simply says 3.55 followed by a random set of numbers similar to the picture Saudade posted a few posts up. So some of them made it simple.

In looking again at the 4.10 I have on jack stands in my garage, it reads

4.10 41-10

So it shows both ratio and math problem.

And just to be thourough, I looked at the door tags on my '96 ZJ, '01 XJ, and '04 WJ and none of them have axle information.

Saudade - if you look real closely, you can see a 3 right next to the bolt head. The actual marking is "3 55".

Yeah, I see I missed the "3" in my post above. Thanks for the catch.

There are also stampings on the axle tube itself that reveal the manufacture date, the BOM # and some other data I haven't been able to decipher.

Not sure what you meant by "random". The numbers following the gear ratio are the bill of materials #. You can use it to look up a parts list on the Dana site. The -6 on mine denotes it came with the traclock lsd.

Of course, this is for Dana only.

AS it turns out, the dealer could order almost any configuration of vehicle they wanted. There was a dealer in AZ that liked the 4.10 axles and ordered them on anything with a towing package and even some others. I have seen pix of them even on the 4.0L's.

as the 41-10, 41-11 what ever goes, if you find what you want the spicer gears actually have the tooth count spamped on the side of the rind gear so u can double check that ur getting the ones the tag says. my d35 and d30 both said the ring and pinion tooth count on them

Yep... never seen an original Dana gearset with the actual ratio stamped into em, always the tooth counts. Got a 39/11 set sitting here right now (3.55:1.)

The 2.5L 4cyl engine was used in the XJ up until the 2000 model year. Finding a 4cyl XJ is pretty rare, at least ones for sale on Craigslist. Maybe they all wound up in the junkyard and you'll have more luck looking there :)

Back