• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Liftgate Light keeps turning on

djt81185

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

So i have an odd issue with the rear liftgate ajar light on my 1998 XJ Sport with the AX-15. It has the infinity system and leather and keyless entry but I do not have the keyfobs. Half the speakers dont work so wiring issues may be to blame.

The issue is that the dashlight randomly comes on. Today when I manually locked the truck and shut the door the liftgate ajar light came on. I reshut it and it still stayed on.

Also I have noticed if I have the headlights on and turn on the dome lights about half the time the liftgate ajar light will come on with the overhead lights.

Any ideas? I have had the airbag light on the dash come on which was cured by pushing the gauge cluster in. I'm really hoping its not more wiring issues. Would I be alright just yanking the bulb?

no reason to just take the light out, this seems like it would be a fairly easy trouble shoot if you are familiar with a multimeter. remove the door ajar "button" for the rear hatch and visually inspect for corrosion/signs of shorting, try to duplicate what was causing the light to come on with it disconnected. if it comes on you have a short upstream, if not your door ajar switch is prob no bueno.. since you dont have a prob taking the cluster out to remove the bulb just test the circuit....just my two cents. taking the bulb out is like sweeping dog shit under a rug cause you dont wanna look at it, it still smells like shit

you could just yank the bulb but...if you are going to go that far in you might as well take out the cluster and check the connector on the back. And also check the printed paper(plastic) circuit board on the back of the cluster. I am thinking where you say you can push on the dash and the a/b light went off I am thinking that you may have a bad board or a loose connector.

As far as the speakers go that is controlled by the head unit then if I remember right the infinity system has an amp some where hidden there too.

there's a plunger-type switch in the lock assembly on my 1992. When I'd go around corners my dome light would come on. Very weird.

Turns out this plunger switch (that normally closes the circuit, turning on the light) was actually completely detached and was shorting against one of the springs in the latch assembly.

I took the end of the switch, wrapped it in electrical tape, and stuffed it up further into the latch. The lamp still comes on readily with one of the front doors open, but will not light the dome with JUST the hatch open. A small inconvenience, IMO.

There is a switch inside the latch that closes to ground when the hatch is open. Most likely is that the wire for this is shorting to the body somewhere, causing the circuit to go to ground (check by the hinge since that is where the wires are fatigued). It's also possible that the switch is sticking.

So by taking out the interior panels and poking around in the latch/handle area I can check for this. I was looking for an external plunger switch like my old 89 had around the drivers door. That explains a lot

Also for the speaker I already swapped the headunit. If i wiggle the door harnesses the sound changes so Im thinking its the connectors in the door harnesses

I will take a look soon. Thanks!

Back