• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Declare Your Fog Light Independence Pt II

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
I read the write up about the fog light independence in the other forum subject and who ever wrote it up had a 2000 XJ. I wanted to do the same thing but I have 92 XJ and when I peeked at my fuse box area mine was totally different. My fuse panel says that the #15 fuse(blue) is my Aux. light fuse.

29a39614.jpg

Thats about as far as I got. Can I even do this little trick on a 92?

Thanks in Advance

Nick

Exactly what are you trying to do?

I assume by the title that he (the OP) wants to be able to use his fog lights independently of his headlights and/or keep the fogs (or driving lights) on when the high beams are on.

OP - Illegal in most states. That's why it's wired that way. Any thing is possible with a little (or alot of) modification.

illegal in most states? can you show me where thats the case? for example, my old truck(04 dodge ram) was wired seperate. my new car(07 ford fusion) wired seperate. my 99 ford f150 i had before this fusion, together. this is in two different states. the only thing ive noticed with all the vehicles ive owned is the older seem to be wired together and the newer ones are seperate. i think thats mainly why. just my .02

Impossible to do unless you do a lot on re-wiring. The relays that you're looking for are behind your left headlight, forward of the air filter box. But unless you understand circuits, relays, etc, or have access to wiring diagrams (Haynes Cherokee book is actually decent), you probably shouldn't mess with this.

illegal in most states? can you show me where thats the case?

Well, shut my mouth. :gag: I had always heard that it was illegal to have fogs and high beams on at the same time. I just checked the vehicle codes of about 15 states and they all say pretty much the same thing. Mounting req's. distance req's etc. number of lights, but to my surprise, NOTHING about fogs/high beams on.

Go for it!!:cheers:

...but having your high beams on in the fog doesn't work anyway, just reflects the light back at you.

So all it's good for is the "cool" factor unless you forgo fogs and put on driving lights instead.
:sunshine:

Oregon DMV:

7) What are the laws for using auxiliary lights or fog lights in Oregon? Answer: Auxiliary driving lights and/or fog lights must be used like the high beam headlight system of your car. You must use a distribution of light or composite beam so aimed that the glaring rays are not projected into the eyes of the oncoming driver. Fog lights may be either white or amber (yellow). They may not be blue, bluish or any other color than white or amber.
On page 60 of the 2001-2003 Oregon Driver Manual it states: "It is also illegal to have auxiliary lights or fog lights on by themselves or on at times when you are required to dim your headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers to see."
Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 811.515 Section (8) states: A light other than a headlight, that projects a beam of light of an intensity grater than 300 candle power shall not be operated on a vehicle: (b) when use of low beams of the vehicle headlight system is required under limited visibility conditions.
ORS 801.325 "Limited visibility conditions means: (1) Any time from sunset to sunrise; and (2) Any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles are not clearly discernible on a straight, level, unlighted highway at a distance of 1,000 feet ahead."

And the LEOs are writing tickets for this offense.

So, in Oregon you can have them on with your high beams, but they must be OFF when you are using low beams AND THERE IS ONCOMING TRAFFIC.

"illegal to have ... fog lights ... on at times when you are required to dim your headlights"

"A light other than a headlight ... shall not be operated ... when use of low beams of the vehicle headlight system is required under limited visibility conditions."

WTF... that says you can't have fog lights on with the low beams!

"illegal to have ... fog lights ... on at times when you are required to dim your headlights"

"A light other than a headlight ... shall not be operated ... when use of low beams of the vehicle headlight system is required under limited visibility conditions."

WTF... that says you can't have fog lights on with the low beams!

No, its in Oregoneze--you can't have fog or auxiliary lights on when there is oncoming traffic, i.e., when it is MANDATORY to dim your lights the fog and auxiliary lights must be OFF. Not sure, but its about a $300 ticket--they are very serious about it.

The only time I ever got pulled over in Oregon was when I failed to dim my lights on 97. The oncoming traffic was a sheriff from Bend. OOOPS. Didn't get a ticket though, I guess it was my wife's (GF then) short skirt, who know's, mebbe!! It sure wasn't MY good looks.

The only time I ever got pulled over in Oregon was when I failed to dim my lights on 97. The oncoming traffic was a sheriff from Bend. OOOPS. Didn't get a ticket though, I guess it was my wife's (GF then) short skirt, who know's, mebbe!! It sure wasn't MY good looks.

Don't sell yourself short--those state cops on 97 get mighty lonely! ;)

This sounds like some stupid crap posted on JeepForum. I don't care if it is illegal or not, it is just a bad idea to have the fogs on with the high beams. The high beams are suppose to light up the road far in front of you, which the fogs don't. Not only that but your eyes will dilate to the the closer fog lights instead of the further high beams. As well as the fact that if you need your fogs on you should not be using your high beams.

"It is also illegal to have auxiliary lights or fog lights on by themselves or on at times when you are required to dim your headlights. These very bright lights make it difficult for oncoming drivers to see."

That is just stupid. Fogs are neither bright not should be aimed up at on coming traffic. Fogs should be aimed low and wide.

This sounds like some stupid crap posted on JeepForum. I don't care if it is illegal or not, it is just a bad idea to have the fogs on with the high beams. The high beams are suppose to light up the road far in front of you, which the fogs don't. Not only that but your eyes will dilate to the the closer fog lights instead of the further high beams. As well as the fact that if you need your fogs on you should not be using your high beams.

I agree, you don't need fogs on with high beams.

That is just stupid. Fogs are neither bright not should be aimed up at on coming traffic. Fogs should be aimed low and wide.

I also agree, but I didn't write the law, just posted the details.

Fog lights with hi-beam doesn't serve any useful purpose - but neither does ot do any harm - but it's illegal in Europe!

We have a lot of problems with people driving around on (factory fit) foglights when not appropriate/lawful [in the UK it used to be in
fog or falling snow but the pan-EU definition is now "reduced visibility" (i.e. other than darkness)] and the police have no interest at all in this.

Just for fun I had a system on a couple of cars years go which enabled me to flash the fog light with the headlights - but, otherwise, they only worked independantly or in conjunction with dip beam (i.e. as required by U.K. "Construction & Use Regulations"). This also gave me the chance to sceck the fogs were working - as we rarely have conditions which make their use necessary or lawful.

You have to remember that auto manufacturers will wire, e.g. fog light to comply with the prevailing legal requirements in most markets - & will only depart from that if the vehicle is sold new somewhere that that would be illegal, i.e. not if it'd simply not required.

Back